Anyone seen CousCous on sale recently

thanks for all the posts.... I need to check out Coto and Carrefour first I think as I havent been for a while. Disco and Walmart (one of the largest) didn't have it recently on more than one visit, nor does Jumbo anymore which reminds me that GUINESS seems to have also disappeared from the shelves. Then it will be back to Chinatown and then smaller markets if all else fails. Anyway lots of great leads so far. cheers, markgeezer

I usually buy mine from Medio Oriente - an armenian bakery/almacen at the intersection of Cabrera and Malabia in Palermo. I'm pretty sure they have it in stock because I buy it about once a month, but if you're coming from far away you can can call them on 47729541 and check.

I bought a box in Jumbo in Puerto Madero last Saturday. It wasn't in the usual place but with all the imported stuff (just on the right hand side as you enter the store).

steveinbsas said:
I make my own.

First I buy 500g of EGRAN brand trigol burgol (burgol wheat) which costs about 10 pesos and is available in the bigger supermarkets, including Carrefour and Walmart. Perhaps this is what Napoleon is buying, too.

Then I use one of 132 recipies from this site: http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/search.do?keywords=Couscous

The bag I was referring to is orange & clear. But it definitely says "Cous Cous" on it. If there's an Argentine equivalent ("trigol burgol"?), then I'll gladly switch to that. I'm a cheto bastard about a lot of things, but I'm willing to sacrifice a bit on Cous Cous. Especially if it helps out with the trade balance.

BA_Life said:
I bought a box in Jumbo in Puerto Madero last Saturday. It wasn't in the usual place but with all the imported stuff (just on the right hand side as you enter the store).

The Blue Box I'm speaking of I believe has Blue in the top half, like an Arabian night (no "k"), and then perhaps a man on a camel cutting across a sandy desert.

The Blue Box cous cous is definitely better than the orange bag stuff. If I were make dinner for a girlfriend's parents, I would go Blue Box 8 days a week. The grain is bigger than the orange bag grain. It's not as big as rice or anything, but the orange bag is much closer to sand than the Blue Box stuff.

Slap in some olive oil, a bunch of chopped cilantro, a mess o' slivers of spring onions, and perhaps diced tomatoes if you're not putting anything on top of it. Salt of course, but this is Argentina, so I didn't think that I had to mention that.

W/O Tomatoes I like to cube some calabaza that I've then tossed in olive oil and sprinkled with chopped rosemary and baked in the oven. With a glass of not-too-tart rosé on the side (I prefer MELIPAL, but Familia Gascon also can be nice with a little air), and you've got a nice summer vegetarian meal.

If you're going heavy, which I do on occasion as well, the cous cous really slurped up the "gravy" from a kind of stew I made in my CrockPot (brought from the USA) with paleta (some kind of meat I'd never heard of), a butt-load o' chopped onions, potatoes, carrots, red wine, white wine, cumin, salt (of course) and some water I think. Ultimately left it in the crockpot on low for about 24 hours... and it was AWESOME!... but gassy. I can't lie. :eek:

On the corner of Vuelta Obligado and Olazabal or Mendoza there is a store called Quatro Quesos. They have cous cous, real dijon mustard, A1 steak sauce etc. It is a bit pricey.

BA_Life said:

I bought couscous last week at http://bodegaamparo.com.ar/ the one at Darwin street. It was $43/kilo and it comes in 1/2 kilo bags... you'll find a lot more stuff in there.. I recommend jamon natural in the deli meats area

cuore said:
I bought couscous last week at http://bodegaamparo.com.ar/ the one at Darwin street. It was $43/kilo and it comes in 1/2 kilo bags... you'll find a lot more stuff in there.. I recommend jamon natural in the deli meats area

I bought two 500gr bags yesterday at the dietetica/nut shop I like on Thames between Santa Fe & Güemes.

AR$12.90/bag = AR$25.80/kilo

Sorry Cuore, you got boned. And it was in the same squared off section of Palermo.

The brand was "ARARAT" cous cous.

50100.png

It's the biggest image I could find.

It's the kind I bought in Chinatown for AR$13/500gr bag.

Napoleon said:
I bought two 500gr bags yesterday at the dietetica/nut shop I like on Thames between Santa Fe & Güemes.

AR$12.90/bag = AR$25.80/kilo

Sorry Cuore, you got boned. And it was in the same squared off section of Palermo.

The brand was "ARARAT" cous cous.

50100.png

It's the biggest image I could find.

It's the kind I bought in Chinatown for AR$13/500gr bag.

Awsome!!! I'm right around the corner!!! To think I believed that store was expensive! Thanks a lot

Back