Apartment Expenses For Worn Out Blind

Somewhereinba

Registered
We just renewed a 2 year contract in the same apartment we have been in for more than 3 years and the blind has holes from storm damage and the strap you use to pull it up and down is worn out about to break. The company managing the apartment says we have to pay to get it fixed but surely since we just renewed the contract we would be entitled to have a good as new blind and strap since we effectively signed a new contract only 3 months earlier that said everything in the apartment is new?

Who is usually responsible for payment of that?

When you sign a contract where it says everything is new and it turns out that things are not in the condition defined in the contract - then you need to take action right away. For example write a certified letter ("carta documento") to the owner or company managing the apartment listing all the issues. Often it is also a good idea to take photographs with an escribano present to certify them. That way you can prove the actual state.

After three months it is to late, though. So you will probably have to flip the bill.

A possible solution is to google replacing the strap, not sure where I read it, but someone posted a youtube video they found and said it was cheap and easy to replace it yourselves if the LL won't take care of it!

If it's the big wooden "persianas", it could be quite expensive to replace. And not at all the responsibility of the renter, if it was storm damage or any other kind of natural weathering. Even if the contract says everything is new. The strap to open and close is probably another story - they are indeed relatively inexpensive to replace and would fall under normal wear and tear. If they were already broken when you moved in three years ago, you wouldn't technically be responsible for that, although signing a new lease saying everything was new, that's going to be hard to argue.

I'd go ahead and replace the straps and tell them "no" to replacing the blinds themselves.

We used to live in a house in a closed neighborhood near Garin, outside the city a ways. When we left, the owner inspected the house and tried to convince us we had to replace all of his exterior eaves around the house, which were dry rotted. Hadn't been maintained in years, it was in bad shape when we rented the house. We didn't do it. Or in our recent apartment fire, the owners are trying to tell us it was our responsibility to replace everything, including kitchen cabinets that were falling apart previously and weren't anywhere near the fire, and even though the fire was apparently the fault of a bad electrical junction box near the stove (what a place to put a junction box anyway!). As well as electrical circuits in other parts of the apartment that hadn't worked for some time and they hadn't fixed.

You do have to careful about what you pay for here, many owners will try to get you to replace things that are not your responsibility. But the renter is, indeed, responsible for other normal wear and tear items in the apartment. It can sometimes be difficult to ascertain exactly what that should be.

El queso,

Hope all is well at your home after the fire?

you have not been posting of late?

Is the apartment back to normal? Life back to normal as yet?

Hey Ceviche, thanks for asking :)

Yeah, things are pretty much back to normal here in the apartment. The kitchen and dining room are in good shape, and it only took two months for the 3 electricians that came out to get all the circuits in the kitchen working again, but now we have light and clean, painted walls and re-formed plaster and new cabinets and such :) Of course, still trying to collect on the insurance...

I haven't been posting much because I am so overloaded with work, basically working on 4 different projects at the same time (well, not literally simultaneously, but all with similar urgency) that I have found myself buried too deeply to do much posting!

We just renewed a 2 year contract in the same apartment we have been in for more than 3 years and the blind has holes from storm damage and the strap you use to pull it up and down is worn out about to break. The company managing the apartment says we have to pay to get it fixed but surely since we just renewed the contract we would be entitled to have a good as new blind and strap since we effectively signed a new contract only 3 months earlier that said everything in the apartment is new?

Who is usually responsible for payment of that?
Unfortunately it is not like in the US. You have been pulling that curtain up and down for 3 years so if it breaks you must replace it. You do not have to replace the curtain but the landlord does not have to do ti either because it does not prevent you from using the property or its services. You can argue back and forth but you sign something that you know was not true or right, you should have mentioned this at the time of signing the contract and asked them to change it :(

I think that much of what's being discussed here regarding repairs and responsibility for them comes down to the owner's personality and the tenant's relationship with the owner as well as subjective definition of "normal wear and tear." I just signed my 3rd 1 yr contract and asked for 3 small items to be repaired - a broken (cheap) light switch, the handle that opens the 70 yr old balcony doors, and a ballast on a light fixture. The owner had all 3 fixed within a week of the new lease. if she had been averse to having them repaired, I would have done it myself. After reading various posts, I feel quite lucky.

But I must also say that when I first took the place I photographed and inventoried everything possible. The owner signed and I signed and we each kept a copy. Just in case. I do that everywhere I go.

Unfortunately it is not like in the US. You have been pulling that curtain up and down for 3 years so if it breaks you must replace it. You do not have to replace the curtain but the landlord does not have to do ti either because it does not prevent you from using the property or its services. You can argue back and forth but you sign something that you know was not true or right, you should have mentioned this at the time of signing the contract and asked them to change it :(
I agree - I have no problem paying to replace the strap - just wanted to get a rough idea on how things work here. I might even try replace it myself :) When we give the apartment back we aren't required to get a whole new curtain are we?

Back