Apartment Security

Depending on the type of door you have, changing the locks could be quite expensive. And looking from the owner's POV, I would not be happy if my tenants changed locks on my property without my permission.

Again, I would start by casually mentioning to the portero that you installed a security camera as you think someone may have entered your apt. That will let him know that you are aware of the situation without directly accusing him. I would also notify the owner or agency (depending from whom you rented the apt) and make them aware of your concerns.

Hi,
I have one extra lock, which i do not give the key out . only for my use when using the apartment

Just wanted to post an update...

While we highly suspected that the portero was entering uninvited, we received confirmation upon discovering a strange pair of men's underwear shoved under our cabinets and covered in wine. These weren't there when we moved into the apartment, and definitely weren't my husband's! Anyhow, we changed the locks for $75 pesos, and had such peace of mind from that day forward. We didn't say anything to the owner, though when we left the apartment we provided him with both of the new keys. From what we can tell, the portero was doing something pervy, I don't want to imagine what, and fortunately didn't steal anything from us besides our peace of mind! Lesson learned: always change the locks when moving into a new apartment!

Now we're in a new place, where the superintendent's (who, awkwardly enough is also our maid) son-in-law, who also lives on our floor, seems to have been trying to break into our apartment, though that's a whole another story...

When I lived in Astoria, Queens, the landlord used to come to my apartment while I wasnt there. Not only invited neighbours and friends for a cup of tea, his wife also used my oven to bake food.

I founded this out at the laundry mat, when a neighbour told me the story without knowing who I were. I spoke to my supervisor and went back home earlier to find all of what I mentioned above with my own eyes. YES OR YES, change your keys. I understand it is not against any law regarding real estate.

Better solution: rent an apartment in a building with a good portero (ask the neighbours). My portero is the same since at least 18 years ago, I wish he had a key to my app, a couple of times there was a situation when it would have been useful for him to have them (water leaks). The best security you can get is good people around you. If the portero is a good one, half of the job is done (The other half is good neighbours that are alert and can call the police when they see a bad guy breaking in). Now, if you only trust technical solutions, the electronic key with changeable PINs seems to be a pretty good thing.

Back