Apostilising Documents

bseabrooke

Registered
Hi Guys

I am sure this topic has been covered but I cant find it anywhere.

Im trying to get my visa sorted out and just realised I need my marriage certificate and baby's birth certificate (both UK documents) apostilised.

Is there anywhere I can get that done here, or do I need to send them back to the UK?

Thanks in advance for your help!

I am trying to get my stuff done for South Korea. First, check if you need to have a notarised copy. This is basically a guy (usually a solicitor) making a copy and verifying its likeness to the original. And then charging 80 quid for the pleasure in my case.

Anything apostilled must then be done by the UK government. Even the embassy would have to send it back to the UK - they can notarise but not legalise things. The bad news is that it is really expensive, costing around 60 quid per document. More if it need to be confirmed by a solicitor. And then add DHL/FEDEX postage and it is a really pricey endeavour.
The good news is that turn around seems to be pretty quick. There are a number of sites you can use. I am using
:http://apostillesuk.rtrk.co.uk/?scid=47832&kw=7511108:70813&pub_cr_id=11691995989

But I can't give you a review as I have not had all my papers done yet.'

I hope this helps a bit, and trust that it is not just Argentina in this case - South Korea is making me jump through hoops to get a visa.
Good luck.

Im trying to get my visa sorted out and just realised I need my marriage certificate and baby's birth certificate (both UK documents) apostilised.

Is there anywhere I can get that done here, or do I need to send them back to the UK?

I agree with majortungsten, you will need to send them back to the UK. As the birth certificate is already an "official document", ie issued by a branch of govt. you won´t need it notarised ... not sure about marriage certificates, although I suspect they are the same. The foreign office website is pretty clear on all this if you go to the section on apostiling.

You´re probably aware, but you´ll also need to get them translated by an "official translator" - thats obviously cheaper done here than in the UK.

For the UK.

You need to send it to the legalisation office in Milton Keynes.

Or send a copy which has been certified as an exact copy of the origianal by a UK lawyer.

They will verify the signature of the of the registrar (or verifying lawyer for copies) and attatch the apostille.

There is no other alternative to this.

It costs £30 per document.

http://www.fco.gov.u...0-How-to-apply/

Hello Brooke, if you need those documents translated from English to Spanish, don´t hesitate in contacting me. I am a certified Translator and I can legalize the documents as well

I hope you everything works out for you

Damian

I had to do this a few years ago. You can either do it through the UK embassy here in BA (they charge a fee on top of the usual apostile fee) and just send it to the UK in a batch...you then collect it a few weeks later from the embassy, or you can send everything over yourself (the quicker option). I'm not sure if there is a service available where documents are then sent directly back to people living abroad. I sent everything to my dad (in the UK), he sent it to get apostiled and then fed-exed it back to me in BA. At the time, it was the swiftest/cheapest option available. Once it's been apostiled, you will have to get the documents translated by a traductor publico (there is usually a fixed fee per document) and legalised at the Colegio de Traductores (which is a walk in/walk out deal so long as you get there in the morning)

Back