Apply For Residency With Expired Tourist Visa

NickBA

Registered
Can this be done? My current 90-day tourist visa is about to expire. Instead of taking the boat to Uruguay, I could have one of my current employers (for whom I've been working en el negro) write an employment contract. If I need to present this contract as proof of employment, would having an expired tourist visa affect this process in any way?

Can this be done? My current 90-day tourist visa is about to expire. Instead of taking the boat to Uruguay, I could have one of my current employers (for whom I've been working en el negro) write an employment contract. If I need to present this contract as proof of employment, would having an expired tourist visa affect this process in any way?

I'm afraid the process is probably much more involved that just writing up an employment contract. As far as I know, they will need to sponsor you for a work visa which, among many other things, means that they have to have everything in order with our old friends at AFIP. When I transferred here 6 years ago, it was delayed for months because the company didn't have all of their taxes in order. This was in addition to the months the process takes in general.

Someone else on the forum should know more of the details on what has to happen from the employer's perspective, but I wouldn't expect it to be quick.

Certain companies can sponsor their workers, but I believe they need to have prior authorization to do so. A business can't simply vouch for a worker and help them get a work visa. In fact, admitting to immigrations that you're working under the table isn't a good idea at all - neither for you nor the business.

Yes I'm aware that it's a bad idea to admit that I've been working, but it becomes more difficult to explain what I've been doing in Argentina for the last 15 months. I'm not too concerned with the length of the process. My understanding is that once the process has been started, it is considered "en tramite" and I don't have to do the border runs anymore, which is as much as I can hope for at the moment. From what I've been reading on this forum, the border runs are increasingly risky; however whenever I speak with an Argentine about this issue they somewhat laugh while responding that Argentina doesn't deport anyone. If anyone has done this in the past couple weeks, I'd love to hear about your experience.

You are correct that once the process is started it is "en tramite," but starting the process is much more difficult than just printing out an employment contract. If your company is really serious, willing, and able, then I suggest you have them contact an attorney to begin the process. The process for obtaining a work visa is not something that you can do on your own. It requires a lot of paperwork from the sponsoring company in addition to all of your personal paperwork.

NickBA, I was going to send you some more info via PM, but it looks like you have messaging turned off.

Great thanks! I think I just fixed it...but if not let me know.

Back