Applying for residency - issues with Clerical stuff

Does anyone have any experience with working a US job and trying to get a local DNI? It seems the most viable ways are to present a local Arg work contract or to show an income from US dividends over a certain amount to avoid paying double income tax on your US salary. Thanks!

Does anyone have any experience with working a US job and trying to get a local DNI? It seems the most viable ways are to present a local Arg work contract or to show an income from US dividends over a certain amount to avoid paying double income tax on your US salary. Thanks!
You cannot "present a local Argentine work contract" if you are working (remotely) for a US company unless they are registered with AFIP to do business in Argentina.

If you are actually employed by a US company that is registered to do business in Argentina, you should be able to get temporary residency and a DNI with a "work contract" from your employer and also qualify for the foreign earned income exemption which is now more than $100K USD per year. If that's the case, you would only owe income tax in Argentina on income below the exemption and you would owe inome tax in the USA on income over it.

If you have passive US income from rental properties or stock dividends you may be able to qualify for the visa rentista and it may be possible to "avoid" Argentine income tax on that income if it is below the taxable threshold for income tax in Argentina (currently about $200K pesos per month?).

$200K pesos per month is vastly more than the current income requirement for the visa rentista, so, if you decide to go that route I suggest you carefully consider how much monthly income you "demonstate" to migraciones when applying for temporary residency.

In any case, you will have to qualify for some form of temporary residency before you will receive a DNI.

As always, others are welcome to add additonal information and/or corrections to this post

Not wanting to disagree with Steve, but this is exactly what I've done, the US company pays me through a local company with which I have a local Argentinian work contract, all local employee and employer taxes are paid. The local company bills the US company monthly, and has to pesify the money received within 5 days (I think) at the official rate :-( something which has become quite a lot less wonderful over time.

The local company needs to be registered in RENURE to be able to employ furriners, and I need to be legally resident, with DNI, CUIL and all that stuff. I'm not registered with AFIP.

I'm not from the US and I know nothing about double taxation regimes.

Unfortunately, my company will only be paying me in USD and has no affiliation with Argentina. This eliminates the RENURE option. I also don't meet the monetary threshold to qualify for the rentista visa.

Do you know of any other ways to secure your residency in Argentina through a different method? I applied for a turn through the RENEX immigration system and completed all of my necessary paperwork (apostle US background check docs etc.); I just have to pick one of the reasons that I would need a residency visa in order to get a migraciones appointment.

I appreciate all of the help!

Unfortunately, my company will only be paying me in USD and has no affiliation with Argentina. This eliminates the RENURE option. I also don't meet the monetary threshold to qualify for the rentista visa.

Do you know of any other ways to secure your residency in Argentina through a different method? I applied for a turn through the RENEX immigration system and completed all of my necessary paperwork (apostle US background check docs etc.); I just have to pick one of the reasons that I would need a residency visa in order to get a migraciones appointment.

I appreciate all of the help!
Sure, apply for citizenshhip.

Update:

It took 51 days, but I finally got the “permanent residency disposition or however you want to translate that” notice. I did not contact anybody from Migraciones in the last two months, so I assume this is just the current waiting period from the huge backlog they got. So if you’re waiting for an update on your migratory status, don’t fret. It really seems like they have their hands full.

Celebrating with some lentejas right now while waiting for my DNI to come through the mail.

Current processing times are about a month from the appointment (DNI in hand - last renewed mine in May). You can legally work with the precaria but many companies won’t hire you. I’m not 100% sure why, but I assume Maybe they don’t want the risk of your residency getting rejected and then having to look for someone new again.

Back