April Book Club Selection

Alicia karr

Registered
Greetings readers. Please join us the last Wednesday in April (30) at 7:00 for our monthly book discussion and pot luck...the April selection is the Pulitzer Prize winner "Empire of the Summer Moon" by S.C. Gwynne. This is a biography of the infamous and (later famous) last great Comanche nation chief,"Quanah" Parker who himself was a "half breed" being born of a Caucasion woman kidnapped by the Commanches as a child (and raised by them) who took a Comanche husband. The Native American Comanche tribe was considered the last and arguably most fierce of the great Native American Plains Tribes, and was literally the last tribe to accede to Reservation life, thus enabling the American West to finally be settled and commercialized. It gives a detailed description of Comanche life, the politics of the settlement of the American West, and the wrenching story of a kidnapped child who later gave birth to and was then forcibly separated from her own child who became a legendary Chief. Aside from a gripping and factual plot line, the book is painstakingly researched and full of historical footnotes. Invoking empathy for the tragic colonialization of native peoples it depicts an integral and frequently shameful époque in the development of the USs last frontier.
I want to give a special acknowledgement to Tom and Nancy who are such dedicated book club members that they came to our March meeting directly from their airport arrival!
If you'd like to come to our April discussion please leave an RSVP comment on this thread along with what you'd like to bring to the pot luck. This book is widely available through Kindle and IBooks or at Kels bookstores (call to guarantee availability at your nearest branch) here in BsAs. First timers are welcome!
Hope to see you soon

Hey please somebody RSVP on this or comment. Still not being so techno savvy I made the mistake of posting this shortly after midnight and it quickly got buried...Because this thread is not controversial or sexy it can get lost quickly before some people that would sincerely be interested have a chance to view it...so let's try and keep book club awareness alive, because now would be a good time for people to get "Empire of the Rising a Moon"(our April Book of the Month) and begin reading. Thanks

GS, Jumbalaya more than works for me! And without a doubt, for our members too! Let me know if you need the address again...so glad you like the selection.

Ok. How is shrimp and sausage jambalaya? Won't be anduille sausage but we'll make do. Can we do it like Porteños - I'll cook and we share the cost? Let me know the headcount.

Best,

GS

Very well -- it would be very nice to meet this group. I have had good vibes about it too. that is if the word vibes" is still part of the vocabulary these days!

I will bring some pan and vino...

all the best

Back