Architecture

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions. I will be checking them out.
These photos of La Plata years ago, gave me some understanding of why BsAs was nicknamed "Paris of South America".
I have to say that it was a very weird experience to visit La Plata's cathedral. It looks exactly like some of the beautiful medieval buildings found in Amiens, Rheims in France. With that, I mean it looks like one of these 'ancient' beauties has literally been moved to Argentina by ship instead of having been built at the end of the nineteenth century. And I am not exaggerating.

There's also a similar building in Córdoba.

Anyway, for me the most impressive building in Buenos Aires is this one:

lasheras.jpg

I don't think I am telling you guys something new but here you go: the responsible architect killed himself after someone told him the structure was probably going to collapse eventually because of mistakes in its construction. It's still there. Quite a haunting place.

I've been in BsAs maybe 20 times, but somehow I have not seen the beautiful architecture that is often mentioned when describing BsAs.
In San Telmo I've seen a couple of historic looking buildings, a few painted buildings in Boca and some nice looking apartment houses in Recoleta.
But I have not had the experience of being in a neighborhood or even a street with beautiful architecture as I have had in many other cities. So I am looking for suggestions of specifically where I can go to see the beautiful architecture of BsAs.
Thats what I thought when I first came here. Its mostly hype. (Paris of the South)
There are some fantastic old buildings but most have been knocked down starting in the 50s.

Thats what I thought when I first came here. Its mostly hype. (Paris of the South)
There are some fantastic old buildings but most have been knocked down starting in the 50s.
Actually, I do not agree at all, the remaining architecture in Buenos Aires is a curious mix of many different styles and no city in Europe offers the same variety. There is still a big amount of impressive buildings and I do not think there really is a hype about it, I still think that Buenos Aires is a relatively unknown destination for what it has to offer, for me cities like Barcelona and New York are pure, long-term hype without a clear reason (especially the first example).

Actually, I do not agree at all, the remaining architecture in Buenos Aires is a curious mix of many different styles and no city in Europe offers the same variety. There is still a big amount of impressive buildings and I do not think there really is a hype about it, I still think that Buenos Aires is a relatively unknown destination for what it has to offer, for me cities like Barcelona and New York are pure, long-term hype without a clear reason (especially the first example).

Depends on what part of the city you live in. Barrio Norte is mostly 70s apartment blocks. Belgrano as well apart from the odd few buildings.
There are some great buildings around Montserrat and some quite surprising finds there.

You can see to some extent how much of the city has been destroyed in the past 50 years:
buenos-aires-skyline-jeremy-woodhouse.jpg

I prefer not to think about the destruction you are referring to, because it's utterly painful for really, anyone who has a good taste.

Have you seen the movie Medianeras? In the intro of that movie, a rapid sequence of camera stills shows how much damage has been done!

Edit: Anyway, also in Southern Europe there has been a slightly similar massive replacement of older buildings by ugly modern architecture. In Madrid, it's not quite as terrible as in BA, but still, no fun.

I prefer not to think about the destruction you are referring to, because it's utterly painful for really, anyone who has a good taste.

Have you seen the movie Medianeras? In the intro of that movie, a rapid sequence of camera stills shows how much damage has been done!

Edit: Anyway, also in Southern Europe there has been a slightly similar massive replacement of older buildings by ugly modern architecture. In Madrid, it's not quite as terrible as in BA, but still, no fun.

Nice video! Just watching some of it now.

Back