Architecture

biblioteca-nacional-Argentina.jpg

How+About+No.jpg

Yeah, if you think of the banlieu areas in France.... that's often just as bad as Dock Sud.

Or when you think of Lima, that's just about one big Villa Miseria, I like Peru but I never want to return to that city.

Anyway, urban misery is everywhere.

San Telmo and Constitucion are full of beautiful buildings. Makes it worth putting up with all those power cuts and the odd armed robbery...

...Anyway, I can add to what's been said already that I am quite fond of the Puerto Madero skyline, and I usually don't really enjoy modern architecture. Especially the Parisian style 'skyscraper' looks pretty original to me.

hmmm... I love this neighborhood, but architecturally there is not much here to look or brag about, maybe with the exception of the YPF tower by Cesar Pelli, and the Mulieris towers. Even the Foster & Partners residential building is a boring for something by F&P (their first project in SA) ... that "parisian" thing (The Chateau tower), IMHO is a perfect example of BAD architecture.

Do you really consider that a beautiful building? I believe they demolished an old mansion or some kind of gov palace to build that weird structure (perhaps it collapsed unintentionally, or a fire or something, earlier on, or something like that, my memory has seen better days). I still like it somehow, but I do not consider it beautiful like most of the Paris/Madrid style buildings people are describing in this thread.

Anyway, I can add to what's been said already that I am quite fond of the Puerto Madero skyline, and I usually don't really enjoy modern architecture. Especially the Parisian style 'skyscraper' looks pretty original to me.

yes, sure is one of the more beautiful buildings!!
it was made by famous architect Clorindo Testa, and its rationalist style with the "terrazas colgantes" make it a very attractive spot. Did you go in and go to the 6th floor, with those amazing views? you have a wonderful sight from there with all the parks, ATC, etc, and besides, the building, the entrance, the huge patio, the scale they used to build it.... it is an incredibly interest building!!

My experience of BA has been one of very bad 70 apartment blocks and a handful of crumbling Parisian ripoffs.
There are a few nice buildings but there is nothing unique here.
BA has nothing Europe doesn't have.

Actually BA is starting to look more like North America than Europe.

The banco hipotecario building is great although I've never seen it look as clean in person as it does in that photo.

What about this, one of my favorites.
Ce0pelM.jpg

The banco hipotecario building is great although I've never seen it look as clean in person as it does in that photo.

What about this, one of my favorites.

This should be filed under:
How to ruin a great building with a boring modern office block.

Anyone would have thought the Germans had bombed BA for there to be so many quickly construct cheap office blocks.

Back