Are Argentines discriminatory?

I think it’s based mostly on ignorance and lack of education. Also it’s a mix of both classist AND racist. 2 African-American friends of mine came to visit and I took them out to the finest restaurants and hotels in BA and they received some looks that were quite uncomfortable.

Also Argentina is probably one of the few countries where you are described by what others deem your social class is- “Mi abuela era de clase alta.” And so forth.

Realistically in today’s world and with the right elements, a ‘villero’ today could potentially be the clase alta of tomorrow- Just probably not in Argentina.

But yes, sadly, lots of discrimination, even with job interviews, some companies are looking for “the right” kind of people and are free to ask questions to sort of ‘categorise’ you and see if you fit the “profile” they are seeking.

Yes, but I think a lot of countries have issues with discrimination. The problem is that Argentines are not PC, or even understand this concept, so they just express their prejudices in a very direct way and is quite shocking for anybody coming from another country. Whereas somewhere like the USA is "less discriminatory" but oh well, random things like the Charleston church shooting happen...

As with many cultures, this discriminatory racist attitude has been passed down through the generations in Argentina. I know this firsthand.

Argentina though seems to have held onto it much longer than the US where it has been weakening through the years, although still very much present there too.

Yes, but I think a lot of countries have issues with discrimination. The problem is that Argentines are not PC, or even understand this concept, so they just express their prejudices in a very direct way and is quite shocking for anybody coming from another country. Whereas somewhere like the USA is "less discriminatory" but oh well, random things like the Charleston church shooting happen...

lol typical of a member of baexpats, judging others while not even takin the time to re-read their own words before posting. Clap clap clap! Damn, I hate hypocresy so much!

Back