Are Expats Leaving?

jeff1234

Registered
I subscribe to another expat forum where recently there was a post about there seeming to be less expats on their forum.

Subsequent responses included speculation that rising prices and political issues here have prompted expats to look for greener pastures.

I'm curious to know if any of you has observed that more expats are leaving?

I wish I could leave, but alas I am stuck in this city of filth, crime and graffiti.

Seems like the mass exodus from BA has been going on for a while now. This isn't anything new... Most people are just passing through, if not, they're stuck here for one reason or another. Just my observations.

I had two expat friends leave last fall after more than 8 years here. They had had it with inflation, crime, dollar controls. They returned to the US and are happier than ever so they say....the other thing I have noticed is those expats that would ALWAYS come for several months a year, suddenly are no longer coming at all...I just came back from a visit to the states and have to say for the first time I was sad to return here and found myself fantasizing about repatriating. I think after a while the perception that things here only get worse, never better, begin to weigh more heavily on ones psyche..if one can completely detach from the greater whole, and live moment to moment, BA still is a fantastic city with many wonderful people and opportunities. But it's really hard to give up the desire for things to be improving and problems being resolved...I think the ex-expats just got tired of the literal and figurative costs of staying...

It's funny, I noticed expats telling me not to come for a plethora of reasons, much different from blogs I had read that were sorta dated in the late 2000's. I guess my take after being here for a few weeks in to my likely multi-year stay is that there are a few different types of expats. People who want an adventure, those who want a change, those who just up and leave, those who think the USA is not worth living in, those that do no research, and the restless, etc.

I think the people who are leaving are the ones that came when inflation was lower, dollar access easier, politics more stable, and ultimately they lived in this illusion they could live like they did back in the USA while being several thousand miles away, and finally realized after the honeymoon phase that it just wasn't the case, and that's ok! Sometimes you can't appreciate what they have until it's gone. And for the others I think many are the type that go somewhere, live for a while, get bored of it, and move on to the next place.

I have a feeling very few of the people repatriating are ones that left in the first place with very well thought out/planned reasons in mind.

I left because I hated where I lived, I wanted a real change (i.e. not moving to a new province/state) school was way too expensive ($17,000 USD/year) and couldn't get loans, I wanted to learn Spanish, I have friends here, I had never been to Argentina, the list goes on. Reactions were 50/50, some say I am/was naïve, but I'm young (according to most people) so if I'm going to screw around I might as well do it now.

Final thought: compare the number of expats you know here in BsAs/Arge saying they wish to go home with the number you know back north hating where they live, or the number of the posters in the new comers board, I think the ones wanting to go home are just more vocal. You up and left home, don't like it here anymore then why not do the same?

Back