Are Expats Leaving?

Here are some reasons to think twice before returning to the USA:

http://dollarvigilante.com/blog/2013/7/16-more-reasons-for-fleeing-the-police-state.html

@steveinbsas - I agree with some of the points, but I think most of them are hyperbole. Not sure how his list portrays an american gov't that is any different or worse than those in the past.

I probably would read a media source with a little more nuanced point of view. The world is grey, but the author correctly knows if you want a lot of people to listen to you, project it as black and white by using peoples willingness to abandon logic in favor of emotion in order to polarize the audience.

I am glad you are happy, Steve. A lot of expats, though, don't see it your way. They are returning with a renewed appreciation for the US. Many who came after the devaluation were sponging , i.e. using their dollar incomes to live well in an unstable third world country that had a patina of sophistication. Once things got tough they bolted. Few expats are willing to live like average Argentines.

i have a such a new found appreciation when i return to Canada, leaving my car door and house door unlocked all day while gardening in the back yard, using my phone while I'm walking on the street without the fear that it will be yanked out of my hand, the fresh, fresh air, REAL garage sales and great vintage stores with amazing prices and organic food galore! but my mother, who loves Argentina, reminds me of the horrible Canadian winters, getting a ticket for jay-walking AKA how anal they can be there, and again the horrible, horrible winters!

I subscribe to another expat forum: [email protected] where recently there was a post about there seeming to be less expats on their forum.

Subsequent responses included speculation that rising prices and political issues here have prompted expats to look for greener pastures.

I'm curious to know if any of you has observed that more expats are leaving?

It seems to me that the number of expats leaving has accelerated over the last year, but I've no hard data, and that may just be my own non-rose-colored glasses reaffirming/rationalizing my own decision to leave.

Back