Are Expats Leaving?

Thanks for the info, I have 310 and pay I think they deduct about 320 pesos a month for me and my girlfriend. Perhaps the cheaper plans they cover I am going to find out!

320 for both of you for 310 is NOTHING. Granted i am over 36 and you are prob on the neo plan but we were paying 1700 plus tax just for my 310 plan.

I honestly don't remember, you may have some mandatory aportes as an employee that you have to pay which is prob what those deductions are.

Correct, there are mandatory deductions which are paid to the state for 3 months and then you transfer them to a private healthcare plan adding on whatever you need to make up the price of your plan.

While this is far from the OP, I will say that in 10 years in NYC, I only recall 2 problems and both were of the taking the long route variety. To be fair, I have by and large had really good luck here in BA with taxi drivers as well. But I haven't tried to take my kids in a taxi which may help.

I am sad to say I hate it here. I wish I could adore it and never want to trade it for anything else in the world, but the fact is I am miserable. I have to filter everything I say and do, I get weird looks and I can't even speak English without getting judged. They girl with the funny accent. Ugh. (sorry for the ramble)

I find it very interesting this thread was revived today.

I arrived in BA in 2006 and lived in Recoleta until 2009...then Nunez for a year.

By then, I hated it, too...so I moved to the Costa Atlantica (near Bahia Blanca but not in the city itself).

At first, I was a stranger in paradise.

After almost four years I'm still the only norte americano in the area...(except for the few Mormon missionaries that come and go on a regular basis).

Now, I just might be one of the happiest expats in Argentina.

'Cause I don't want to be anywhere else.

And all my friends here are Argentine.

PS: Assimilation has been a wonderful experience.

Actually, I do not aslk what Argentina had to foffer me
Too many forget that the country as a lot more to offer than just BsAs.

Actually, I did not ask what Argentina had to offer me,

I asked what I had to offer Argentina (to live here).

I am leavin next month after 16 months here.
I came over to be with my girlfreind. She has her visa approved now (12 months) and I have been driving in the relocation back to Australia.
I feel like I am on a treadmill here - if I was still here in 7-8 years I would be so far behind where I could be if I were back in Australia (financially and professionally).
So I'm off In 6 weeks. BA is ok.
I firmly believe that you can get used to anything but you can also get sick of anything too. I am just a bit fed up with the circle work everyone seems to do here. Some people like my girlfriend seem a bit oblivious to it, mainly cos they're used to it. She knows there is another world out there though an I hope she finds the opportunity that she deserves

Back