Are food and drinks being adulterated to deal with the lockdowns and inflation?

I'm sure things are being watered down. As are the cleaning supplies. There's no way the manufacturers can stay in business with fixed prices and offer the same quality of product when the cost of all their supplies are going up. I listened to a podcast the other day with one of the manufacturers stated due to the price fixing they are having to get creative with ways to keep prices down while still keeping a presence in the AR market. The method they spoke of was decreasing the volume of products to make them affordable but I'm certain that isn't the only trick they've got.

I've noticed the laundry detergent is thin as hell. Some window cleaning stuff I bought the other day left a weird film all over the window. Ended up just cleaning it with soap and water.
I've noticed that too.

On the front of my Gordon's Gin it says "Est London 1769... distilled using Alexander Gordon's Exacting Standards".

On the reverse it says, "Industria Argentina"

As someone mentioned considering the price in dollars - there is no way these are imported.

I'm going back to wine...

Why can't we have nice things? At this point, it will literally be easier to buy these items at a bodegon (luxury supermarket) or car dealership in Caracas than Buenos Aires. Yet what we can get in Buenos Aires appears to be watered down swill!

I was told by someone on another forum that Gordons Gin is imported in large tanks then bottled here. The alcohol content in the UK is 40%. Several other well known branded sprits are imported using the same method.

I was told by someone on another forum that Gordons Gin is imported in large tanks then bottled here. The alcohol content in the UK is 40%. Several other well known branded sprits are imported using the same method.
I couldn't tell you whether Gordon's is Industria or Embotellada Argentina but I do know it has been 37.5% in the UK for years. IIRC it was one of the first major brands to follow the cheap supermarket products downhill.

I couldn't tell you whether Gordon's is Industria or Embotellada Argentina but I do know it has been 37.5% in the UK for years. IIRC it was one of the first major brands to follow the cheap supermarket products downhill.

I suppose we should thankful it's much cheaper here than it is in the UK then.
Funnily enough, despite being partial to a G&T with a slice of lemon I've never bought a bottle of Gin here. The 'Schhh you know who' used to be very expensive however I noticed this week in the supermarket the pricing was now quite reasonable. I'm no Gin connoisseur so might just buy myself a bottle of Gordons.

I suppose we should thankful it's much cheaper here than it is in the UK then.
Funnily enough, despite being partial to a G&T with a slice of lemon I've never bought a bottle of Gin here. The 'Schhh you know who' used to be very expensive however I noticed this week in the supermarket the pricing was now quite reasonable. I'm no Gin connoisseur so might just buy myself a bottle of Gordons.
Have you tried Cunningtons? After all, if it's good enough for Mirta Legrand...

Top tip, whichever tonic you choose: slice your lemon and freeze it to stop your G&T warming up too fast.

What we need here is a decent moonshine still , guaranteed no freezing ever lol. Also, you must hate yourself quite enough to drink that.

Back