Are Most Fruterias Dishonest?

Cruz009

Registered
As per the title, I'm wondering if most fruterias are dishonest or not. I have been to at least 3 (including one at a Ferria), and all of them gave me fruits that weren't as great as those on displays. Despite "pointing" to the fruits that I wanted, they still went inside and gave different (bad) ones.

Is that normal or they were just taking advantage towards non-Spanish speaking people?

Plenty of fruterias let you pick your fruits and vegetables... I do not shop where they pick it for me because they tend to give you what is going to go bad soon. But in general they are very " informal " ( things happen when they weight, with change, take only cash, no receipts, etc ). They are the kind of shops where you need to build trust and a good relationship. Same happens with butcher shops. Where in the city you live and whether you are perceived as tourist or permatourist plays a role too, but it is not definite. ( I am local ).

Most of them aren't good, but there are probably many within a 10 minute walk of where you live. Try all of them out and then once you find the best one try to make a personal connection with the people there.

Plenty of fruterias let you pick your fruits and vegetables... I do not shop where they pick it for me because they tend to give you what is going to go bad soon. But in general they are very " informal " ( things happen when they weight, with change, take only cash, no receipts, etc ). They are the kind of shops where you need to build trust and a good relationship. Same happens with butcher shops. Where in the city you live and whether you are perceived as tourist or permatourist plays a role too, but it is not definite. ( I am local ).
I have four verdurias around my block. I use the autoservicio. You pick out your own. When I first started going there I was señora. Now I am mamita. It helps to be able to laugh and joke in Spanish. And I love their cat.

It's called Stock Rotation and it's so commonplace that it even has its own Wikipedia entry. If you want to choose your own produce, visit one of the very many self-service outlets around the city.

A verdulero I knew said: "If each customer picks only the good tomatoes" then I'm left with the 15 % of bad tomatoes in the box, that no one will buy...! So I must sell one bad tomato to each customer. To make a profit..!

Better quality verdulerias in my neighborhood give away the imperfect or too ripe produce to friends and family, often daily. And, often, to poor people, and seniors, at the end of the day. Giving food to the poor occurs with a lot of restaurants too- I have been in a fancy restaurant in Recoleta when a shabby dude walks in, and they immediately handed him a free bottle of water. The restaurant on the ground floor of my building hangs a bag of food that wont keep, packed in to go containers, on the front door many evenings.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Redpossum Expat Life 30
Back