Are some Argentinian universities far more prestigious than others?

Fiscal

Registered
As in the US, with different tiers of prestige? Or are they all roughly the same?

Historically, UBA was very prestigious; but for political reasons has had a steep and steady decline (plummet?) since the 70s — very comparable to CUNY’s (the City University of New York) world class reputation in the 40s, 50s and 60s then steep decline from the 70s to now. Although my argument is correct, it is controversial with Peronists insisting that it is still the greatest university on the planet, while those who claim this but are rich send their kids to university in the USA, or to....

As of today, the two Argie universities that compete on the world stage, at the international level, are San Andres and DiTella. DiTella for example is known for its world class Econ department and law school, for example. They are also by far the richest universities in the country.

Other universities are good but glide off of their reputations from when they were better, like Favaloro and the UBA’s Med School.

The med school at the UBA is also an interesting case because: while not as great as it was, it is still fairly good. Combined with he fact that it is is free, you get fairly good students from around the world attending or as well.

Note also that the university of Córdoba is considered high quality domestically although it has little international standing.

my girlfriend is in graphic design. from what she's told me UBA is very good in that area, but the problem she had was the quality of teachers. being a free university they don't seem to give two s***s about the students generally. even in the higher level classes.

she has since transfered to UADE and has had a much better experience there. from my understanding the quality of the program is still very good.

Historically, UBA was very prestigious; but for political reasons has had a steep and steady decline (plummet?) since the 70s — very comparable to CUNY’s (the City University of New York) world class reputation in the 40s, 50s and 60s then steep decline from the 70s to now. Although my argument is correct, it is controversial with Peronists insisting that it is still the greatest university on the planet, while those who claim this but are rich send their kids to university in the USA, or to....

As of today, the two Argie universities that compete on the world stage, at the international level, are San Andres and DiTella. DiTella for example is known for its world class Econ department and law school, for example. They are also by far the richest universities in the country.

Other universities are good but glide off of their reputations from when they were better, like Favaloro and the UBA’s Med School.

The med school at the UBA is also an interesting case because: while not as great as it was, it is still fairly good. Combined with he fact that it is is free, you get fairly good students from around the world attending or as well.

Note also that the university of Córdoba is considered high quality domestically although it has little international standing.

The rich seldom send their children abroad to do undergraduate studies, They do sometimes send them to the US or sometimes the UK to do graduate degrees. It's not uncommon for top students to finish their degree at UBA and then do an MBA, a Masters in Law etc abroad. UBA still has a good reputation however completing the degree requires persistence due to the disorganization. Many - perhaps most - professors are professionals who teach part time while holding better paying jobs elsewhere. It would be hard for them to live on an UBA salary alone. The system is lecture and exam oriented.

It is correct that DiTella is prestigious and somewhat known outside Argentina. San Andres is also good.

The Italian Hospital medical school is apparently good but there really aren't a lot of options in Argentina. UBA is the most well known and traditionally respected. Most leading doctors are UBA graduates.

UBA by far has the highest recognition in Argentina, top reputation ... Al famous medical doctors, lawyers, architects, etc. come from UBA.
Watch TV never seen a famous scholar a graduate of Universidad de Cordoba or for that sake UCA,
However in the private sector one would find business graduates form U. Catolica Argentina or San Andres..!

The rich seldom send their children abroad to do undergraduate studies

Ummmm I’m the undergraduate interviewer in Arg for my American university and we get tons of applicants every year. They CERTAINLY do send their kids abroad, I see it first hand: they just don’t let the plebeians know they are doing that!

At UBA Law School you finish with a Master degree.
They have a Master for foreigners or lawyers from other Universities that is the same program than the last 2 years of the standard UBA degree. This shows how low is in comparision the level of the other Universities.
UBA also has exchange programs with Universities like Columbia.

I also studied at University of Belgrano and it is a joke.

Ummmm I’m the undergraduate interviewer in Arg for my American university and we get tons of applicants every year. They CERTAINLY do send their kids abroad, I see it first hand: they just don’t let the plebeians know they are doing that!

That surprises me. I know many families whose children have received graduate degrees abroad but I know of very few who have done undergraduate studies. Maybe this has changed. Of all the families I know, none would keep it a secret that their children are abroad. If anything, it's a status symbol.

At UBA Law School you finish with a Master degree.
They have a Master for foreigners or lawyers from other Universities that is the same program than the last 2 years of the standard UBA degree. This shows how low is in comparision the level of the other Universities.
UBA also has exchange programs with Universities like Columbia.

I also studied at University of Belgrano and it is a joke.
In why way was it a joke?

Back