Are You A Citizen?

Tom, I'm curious why you are considering citizenship instead of permanent residency? But don't want to ask you a too personal question if it is....
I am considering all possibilities including staying as we are, tourists for less than 6 months each year.

The reason for my question is to find out if becoming a citizen really is an option. Is it common or rare. Just looking for some facts.

Steve is I believe
I know Steve applied for citizenship several years ago and was doing it by himself. I haven't heard an update from him on that matter in some time.

Okay. almost 100 people have looked at this question and nobody has said anything. Does this mean that no one on this forum that is not related to an Argentine has successfully become a new Argentine citizen.

Bajo_cero2....any success stories?

I guess what I'm really asking is what are my chances if I apply for citizenship.

T/

This is hearsay, but someone told me that it goes like this. There are 11 (?) judges and 2 of them really do not like the fact that people apply for citizenship through the federal courts, so they try to block it or push it forward indefinitely. If you get assigned one of these judges, you can ask for a re-assignment only once. If you get the other judge for the re-assignment, there is very little chance for your case. The chance of getting both judges is about 15%. The lawyers usually charge you half the total cost of the process up front, so it's a 15% chance of losing just half of the money that it would cost for the lawyer.

THIS IS WHAT I HEARD BUT I COULD BE WRONG!!!!

I was going to answer about a friend of mine who is nearly finished with the process, but you asked if anyone reading had actually done it :)

My friend has been here a bit over two years as a permatourist and began to worry about being able to leave and come back as things were heating up and this was about 4-5 months ago that he started the process. He had no possibility of temporary or permanent residency.

He hired a lawyer (Gabriel Celano, who was my lawyer, and for other guys I know, for permanent residency and has been referred many times here as well) to take him through the process. It has gone well for him up to this point. I.e., no complications.

I am to be one of his witnesses as to where he lives, how long he's been here, what he does for a living, etc. He is due to see the judge (although I understand the judge himself will not actually preside, but rather an assistant) for his interview this week (although the date may change).

According to Gabriel, he expects everything to go fine, with no complications. My friend speaks good enough Spanish to get by in general queries and conversations, though he's not fluent. I'll let you know how things go when he has his interview and there's more information.

Steve did post at some point that his case was successful, and that he was taking out an ad in the paper (I'm pretty sure it was Steve who had posted that) announcing his citizenship. Someone else fairly recently posted something about that, too, I believe I remember.

I was talking to Gabriel the other day (we still keep in touch on occasion) and he mentioned that they have had to start turning away people who are applying for citizenship as permatourists. He is cutting off at 5 requests per day because it's all his office can handle. I'm not sure if he actually handles every case that comes to him (25 per week seems a bit much) but is probably handling the ones he's pretty sure will go through with minimal problems.

I am a citizen of Argentina. I did not have any form of legal residency when I applied for citizenship and I do not have any Argentine relatives, spouses, children, etc. As I noted in the citizenship thread, I contracted BajoCero to obtain the citizenship certificate through judicial process.

Okay. almost 100 people have looked at this question and nobody has said anything. Does this mean that no one on this forum that is not related to an Argentine has successfully become a new Argentine citizen.

Bajo_cero2....any success stories?

I guess what I'm really asking is what are my chances if I apply for citizenship.

T/

I know about almost a hundred succesful stories of my cases but I understood you were looking for feedback from people who got it instead of me, a lawyer.

I know about almost a hundred succesful stories of my cases but I understood you were looking for feedback from people who got it instead of me, a lawyer.

are you rejecting any cases like Gabriel Cerrano?

Or accept one and all who walks in your door with the cash?

I sent you a PM. I have citizenship since August 2013. I renewed my tourist visa for 13 years with trips to Colonia every 90 days and a few times at migraciones. I intended to stay in Argentina from the day I arrived, February 3, 1999.

The only way you're going to know about your "chances" is by consulting a lawyer who specializes in the area and has been successful in other citizenship cases. It is something that you can do yourself, but you need an excellent command of the language. You need that anyway for the language test.

I suggest consulting with the lawyer who helped Arlean Kelly get citizenship. Search the forum for his name and telephone.

Please share you experience here instead of by PM.

[...]
I was talking to Gabriel the other day (we still keep in touch on occasion) and he mentioned that they have had to start turning away people who are applying for citizenship as permatourists. He is cutting off at 5 requests per day because it's all his office can handle. I'm not sure if he actually handles every case that comes to him (25 per week seems a bit much) but is probably handling the ones he's pretty sure will go through with minimal problems.

BTW - I realized I may have been making a statement about Gabriel's criteria that he did not share with me, as far as which cases he takes on during the flood he's getting. He didn't tell me what his criteria is and for all I know, he's taking on the tougher cases of people who have serious needs, or possibly he is taking on every one of the 5 cases per day that he gets - again my supposition only was that he was not handling each and every case of the 5 per day..

:)

Back