are you happy there?

HDM said:
I just noticed something that made me smile ...

About 15 years ago, living for a time in Paris, I was asked what I didn't like about Paris, and I wrote: Dog shit, currency rip-offs, the smelly crowds on the Metro, and all the damn car horns bleating all the time.

Ummm.

Originally Posted by tangobob
See, it is the Paris of the South.:D

gusgutier said:
As local, I respectfully and strongly ask not to compare B.A. with Paris anymore. It causes a lot of misunderstandings and people here lost in confusion. If this comparison continues, I`ll begin a campaign naming USA as the Argentina of the north ( I have WSJ already with me) and Obama the Kirchner of America.

You need to lighten up a bit here. "Buenos Aires Paris of the south" was not my invention. I agree with all those here who say Buenos Aires has it's own charm and comparing one city with another is a bit pointless, but the argument on this has raged on this site for as long as I can recall. I just thought that for once it was nice to have the comparison the other way. Instead of knocking Buenos Aires because it does not live up to peoples expectations of what a Paris of the South should be, we can look at the faults that Paris has, and more important, smile about it.

gusgutier said:
. . . . I`ll begin a campaign naming USA as the Argentina of the north ( I have WSJ already with me) and Obama the Kirchner of America.
This may have the ring of authenticity about it . . . let's hope not!

All these metaphores.
Here is one to scare the hell out of you: "Christina, the Maggi of the twenty first century".:eek:
Now I need to lie down.

Now that, T-Bob, is one that I really can't see! (But, were it accurate, you could feel right at home year-round.)

gusgutier said:
As local, I respectfully and strongly ask not to compare B.A. with Paris anymore. It causes a lot of misunderstandings and people here lost in confusion. If this comparison continues, I`ll begin a campaign naming USA as the Argentina of the north ( I have WSJ already with me) and Obama the Kirchner of America.

The whole analogy of Paris and Buenos Aires is the creation of travel magazine articles. If you buy international travel magazines that have feature articles on Buenos Aires, my guess is that the majority of times there will be a comparason made between Paris and Buenos Aires. I think that it has something to do with some of the French style buildings here.

Recoleta Carolina said:
The whole analogy of Paris and Buenos Aires is the creation of travel magazine articles. If you buy international travel magazines that have feature articles on Buenos Aires, my guess is that the majority of times there will be a comparason made between Paris and Buenos Aires. I think that it has something to do with some of the French style buildings here.

For the first time since you came on the scene, I completely agree with you Carolina!

tangobob said:
Originally Posted by tangobob
See, it is the Paris of the South.:D

You need to lighten up a bit here. "Buenos Aires Paris of the south" was not my invention. I agree with all those here who say Buenos Aires has it's own charm and comparing one city with another is a bit pointless, but the argument on this has raged on this site for as long as I can recall. I just thought that for once it was nice to have the comparison the other way. Instead of knocking Buenos Aires because it does not live up to peoples expectations of what a Paris of the South should be, we can look at the faults that Paris has, and more important, smile about it.

The comparison of Buenos Aires-Paris is referent to the architecture boom between 1861 - 1945 the golden era of Buenos Aires construction when crazy in those years and of course the cultural sight always was on Europe particularly France - Paris, not England not USA that come after WW2 with movies, TV and lately with Internet culture changed in part some of the appearance and architecture of this city.

Here are some photos of those yesteryear's and some of you will certainly recognize various landmarks on this city, unfortunately most of the "cupules" who decorated the roofs were destroyed together with the buildings given way to some ugly and decontrolled developments, poor legislation to protect the national patrimony plus bad management of the economic resources to maintain parks and buildings faded that Paris look of this Latinamerican city to become the myth of nowadays.

Buenos Aires 1861 - 1945

On the second page are some photos of Mar del Plata in those years...the years of La Belle Epoque.

Mar del Plata - La Belle Epoque

The comparison did have some value in those times....unfortunally not anymore.

Back