Areas of reform

Formosa, Gildo Insfran Governor since December 1995 ...! 70 % of the employed en Blanco work for the Government , in Catamarca 60 % , Chaco 58 %

Businesses have to compete against the government for employees! I’m against the minimum wage in the US but the situation here is ridiculous.

Provincias like Formosa are so poor, so little development and infrastructure that there isn't much competing going on.

It's run more like a fiefdom than a modern day economy. It's a mafia state. There is lots of protected drug trafficking and cigarette smuggling that happens on the Paraguay River into Formosa. The cigarettes come from the company of ex-president of Paraguay, who has had photos hugging the Formosa Governor, just like Alberto. The governor has been in charge for 25 years as Rich One posted. Him and his family have an enormous fortune built off of state protection of illicit activities while the province continues to be desperately poor.

Cue Bajo defending Insfran by saying but Macri had an off-shore account or something.

Businesses have to compete against the government for employees! I’m against the minimum wage in the US but the situation here is ridiculous.

why do you think minimum wage could help in this case?
Sounds like government already pays too high wages and businesses just cannot pay comparable wages to those people.
Or there's just not enough businesses because they do not see a way to make enough money to compete.

Why do you think minimum wage could help in this case?

I do not think it would help at all. I am categorically opposed to it. I was attempting to make a comparison between it and how Argentina pays people essentially not to work. If you are an employer, you have to compete for workers against the wage the government pays them for not working. Apologies for the confusion.

So it seems AFIP is starting a nationwide program to go into peoples bank accounts and demand proof and reasons they have money in them... Another way to try squeeze the middle class of their remaining funds to make them poorer while the rich politicians keep their money hidden overseas in havens and the poor don't pay any taxes anyway because income is either Government derived or 'black' aka cash.

Banks are closing branches in various parts of Argentina because no one dares to keep money there. No deposits, no loans. What is the banking model?

So it seems AFIP is starting a nationwide program to go into peoples bank accounts and demand proof and reasons they have money in them... Another way to try squeeze the middle class of their remaining funds to make them poorer while the rich politicians keep their money hidden overseas in havens and the poor don't pay any taxes anyway because income is either Government derived or 'black' aka cash.

The idea that the 'middle class' in Argentina is poor is such a laugh. The middle class here are the top 20% minimum, very well off people who certainly should be made to pay their taxes.

The middle class here are the top 20% minimum, very well off people[.]
That raises a question that has often crossed my mind: where do people stow their money? When I change dollars for pesos, various contacts show up with stacks of what appear to be freshly minted $1.000 pesos bills. They’re not keeping their money in a bank, so where? I would guess in their homes but that is very risky (but less so than in the bank).

Back