Seeking Safe Areas with American or Italian Communities

VandaSan

Registered
Hello. I am an Italian and American (dual citizenship). I am also bilingual. Next year I will be retiring from my job in the US and I would like to relocate in Argentina. Of course, I'd prefer to be close to an American or Italian community, however in a fairly safe area. Any suggestions?

Hello. I am an Italian and American (dual citizenship). I am also bilingual. Next year I will be retiring from my job in the US and I would like to relocate in Argentina. Of course, I'd prefer to be close to an American or Italian community, however in a fairly safe area. Any suggestions?
Why do you want to retire to Argentina?

Most of us - who were born in this country - have Italian roots but there is nothing like a "Little Italy" community here nowadays. There are many Italian Associations in Buenos Aires though. Most Americans prefer Palermo or Recoleta in Buenos Aires. I did retire in the USA and returned to Argentina but I would always choose Buenos Aires as a base in this country.

If you looking for Italian community then it’s the entire country pretty much. There’s no certain American area but I’ve met a lot of them in las canitas. I know at least 15 of them living there not enough to call a community though.

If you want a sizeable, and cohesive US expat community, go to Ajijic or San Miguel d'Allende in Mexico.

I too am a dual Italian American and bilingual, and I have chosen Buenos Aires for various reasons, among which is that this is the most Italian place I have found outside of Italy. I assume you too, like me, are not contemplating retiring to Italy, right?
By the way, what part of Italy are you from?

The Pizza in Buenos Aires is much better too than what you will find in Italy. The Italian immigrants to Argentina have done a great job in that regard

Although 60% of argentines have some italian heritage, most real italians consider Argentina to be similar to New Jersey, in the sense that over 4 to 6 generations, a unique hybrid “Italian “ culture has evolved, full of 100% authentic things that never existed in Italy. Sorrentinos, and Lunfardo slang derived from angolan and english words are VERY Italian here. You have to embrace cultural drift, and nostalgia for the imaginary, and you will love it. I certainly do.

Back