Argentina’s Latest Unorthodox Tool to Combat Inflation: AI

Free money is the opiate of the people. When the people are forced to pay back all that free money with an inflation tax politicians make it a crime to talk about inflation.

So it goes.

No Argentine gov't can impose the pain required to tame inflation, and with so much poverty and near poverty, perhaps that's a good thing.

What is a sad thing is the government's consistent pattern of peeing on foreign investors -- an increase in natural resource export is the only politically feasible way to right the ship -- but without major foreign investment it cannot happen.

No Argentine gov't can impose the pain required to tame inflation, and with so much poverty and near poverty, perhaps that's a good thing.

What is a sad thing is the government's consistent pattern of peeing on foreign investors -- an increase in natural resource export is the only politically feasible way to right the ship -- but without major foreign investment it cannot happen.

Speaking of increasing natural resort exports Beagle Channel region has legislated forbidding Salmon raising in their waters.
Meantime in Chile the value of salmon exports, is double the value of Argentine Meat exports. Salmon exports are second only to Copper exports in Chile.

Hito: con voto unánime, prohíben las salmoneras en el Canal de Beagle​

1jpg.jpg

Salmon farming isn't uncontroversial, because of pollution through chemicals in fishfeed, bacterial contamination of the seabed, and antibiotics, the consequences of which would reduce profitability if they were ever paid by the operators of the fishfarms. Plus sea-lice are a huge problem in farmed salmon, causing up to 50% mortality I understand.

I eat salmon too (which means farmed salmon, there's almost no wild salmon sold anymore), but maybe an enclosed, slow-rejuvenating area like the Beagle Channel isn't the place to put fish farms.

Salmon is way down the list of Chilean exports, though, after fruit, cellulose, chemicals, and so on.

Salmon farming isn't uncontroversial, because of pollution through chemicals in fishfeed, bacterial contamination of the seabed, and antibiotics, the consequences of which would reduce profitability if they were ever paid by the operators of the fishfarms. Plus sea-lice are a huge problem in farmed salmon, causing up to 50% mortality I understand.

I eat salmon too (which means farmed salmon, there's almost no wild salmon sold anymore), but maybe an enclosed, slow-rejuvenating area like the Beagle Channel isn't the place to put fish farms.

Salmon is way down the list of Chilean exports, though, after fruit, cellulose, chemicals, and so on.

Frank what is your source ? Fish Fillets is the largest after Copper. Exports for 2022 not available yet. Amazing the growth if you add Frozen Fish.
Chile is the Second largest exporter of Salmon in the world after Norway. (please check ). Maybe it isn't a profitable business.

Frank what is your source ? Fish Fillets is the largest after Copper. Exports for 2022 not available yet. Amazing the growth if you add Frozen Fish.
Chile is the Second largest exporter of Salmon in the world after Norway. (please check ). Maybe it isn't a profitable business.

Yikes! You may be right. I looked at Wikipedia, never mind... it's way out of date. But the Santander figures sure a re weird, Copper is at 50%, fish is at 4%? It's a pity they don't give the monetary value, with the percentages there's no way to know if wine and cellulose exports collapsed or were overtaken by fish.

Yikes! You may be right. I looked at Wikipedia, never mind... it's way out of date. But the Santander figures sure a re weird, Copper is at 50%, fish is at 4%? It's a pity they don't give the monetary value, with the percentages there's no way to know if wine and cellulose exports collapsed or were overtaken by fish.
The individual dollar values are the percentages listed from the US$ 94.7 Bn Total Exports .

Speaking of increasing natural resort exports Beagle Channel region has legislated forbidding Salmon raising in their waters.
Meantime in Chile the value of salmon exports, is double the value of Argentine Meat exports. Salmon exports are second only to Copper exports in Chile.

Hito: con voto unánime, prohíben las salmoneras en el Canal de Beagle​

1jpg.jpg

Good for them. Farmed salmon is poison.

In the US I eat wild and farmed salmon, steelhead, rainbow trout, and char. They are all similar enough to replace on the plate and all from the Salmonidae family, though different genus and species. Of course wild is better, but not possible or feasible at all times if you eat fish often.

In Argentina the price is still great for an entire fillet 1-2kg, or a whole Chile salmon compared to US. Jumbo supermarkets are a good connection since it's an enterprise from Chile. I suspect they send a lower grade Salmon to Argentina vs is what is sent to US/EU. So I trust the rainbow trout farmed raised in Patagonia more, and I eat that more often. I just wish Argentina would do a better job to flash-freeze and vacuum-seal all seafood.

Back