Argentina’s Latest Unorthodox Tool to Combat Inflation: AI

In the US I eat wild and farmed salmon, steelhead, rainbow trout, and char. They are all similar enough to replace on the plate and all from the Salmonidae family, though different genus and species. Of course wild is better, but not possible or feasible at all times if you eat fish often.

In Argentina the price is still great for an entire fillet 1-2kg, or a whole Chile salmon compared to US. Jumbo supermarkets are a good connection since it's an enterprise from Chile. I suspect they send a lower grade Salmon to Argentina vs is what is sent to US/EU. So I trust the rainbow trout farmed raised in Patagonia more, and I eat that more often. I just wish Argentina would do a better job to flash-freeze and vacuum-seal all seafood.

Well , at a resto how does one know if it's Wild or Farmed?
Salmon producers in Chile send to Argentina, what customers pay for ..
Lower grades of Salmon ? each product has a price.
On a similar fishy subject . Chile Exports thousands of tons of Chilean sea bass to the US since the eighties ? It's a main course in California (my favorite). How come it's not offered here at restaurants ?

Well , at a resto how does one know if it's Wild or Farmed?
I believe in Argentina, all salmon that is available is farmed in Chile. Anywhere else in the world, if the menu says wild, then you just need to trust they are telling you the truth. I feel that salmon is such a simple food to prepare (except sushi) and cook, that I do not waste a restaurant experience with that item. I want a professional kitchen to cook something difficult, or at least unique cooked over coals on the parrilla. For me anything that is a whole bone-in fish such as besugo or corvina, or even some less common fish. Sabalo river fish is something that is unique to Argentina, so that gets my interest if on the menu.
Salmon producers in Chile send to Argentina, what customers pay for ..
Lower grades of Salmon ? each product has a price.
That is only my suspicion. I thought I read one salmon providers (many are norway companies) for export product list in the past, and they had two grades. Not to mention that imports into argentina are squeezed by strange and inexplicable forces.

On a similar fishy subject . Chile Exports thousands of tons of Chilean sea bass to the US since the eighties ? It's a main course in California (my favorite). How come it's not offered here at restaurants ?
the inexplicable

The Chilean "sea bass" sent to the US was actually Patagonian Toothfish, not any kind of bass, and specially chosen for the US market (I read this) for being bland and tasteless. It's probably been overfished and stocks collapsed. Lots of articles about that online.

I believe róbalo is a real sea bass, and you can get that in Argentina, I've seen it in Chinatown. But fish doesn't seem to be too popular anyway in Argentina.

I find Pacu here is excellent, and Surubi (monster fish from the rivers) is quite nice as well, up north they do it as milanesa.

The Chilean "sea bass" sent to the US was actually Patagonian Toothfish, not any kind of bass, and specially chosen for the US market (I read this) for being bland and tasteless. It's probably been overfished and stocks collapsed. Lots of articles about that online.

I believe róbalo is a real sea bass, and you can get that in Argentina, I've seen it in Chinatown. But fish doesn't seem to be too popular anyway in Argentina.

I find Pacu here is excellent, and Surubi (monster fish from the rivers) is quite nice as well, up north they do it as milanesa.

Frank, the Chilean"Sea Bass"( is a Patagonic Toothfish) sold in California for more than thirty years . It's a favorite in most US Restaurants . It's still sold in large quantities. Tasteless? Bland? Probably overfished? collapsed?
I was in the business of imports of large quantities of Chilean Sea Bass frozen in 20 ft. containers .

Frank, the Chilean"Sea Bass"( is a Patagonic Toothfish) sold in California for more than thirty years . It's a favorite in most US Restaurants . It's still sold in large quantities. Tasteless? Bland? Probably overfished? collapsed?
I was in the business of imports of large quantities of Chilean Sea Bass frozen in 20 ft. containers .

Maybe you know Lee Lantz and his story then, https://priceonomics.com/the-invention-of-the-chilean-sea-bass/ His view on the eating qualities are mentioned towards the top of the article, and the possible extinction and campaigns like “Take A Pass On Chilean Sea Bass” are mentioned towards the bottom of the article. Chilean Patagonian Toothfish is rated "avoid" by Seafood Watch.

Not being contentious, but it's difficult to know what you're getting with the willful mislabeling on the one hand, and the name changes between Europe and America on the other. For real sea bass, Google would have you believe that sea bass is called "lubina" in Spanish, you won't have much luck finding lubina around here, I think. Róbalo maybe.

Maybe you know Lee Lantz and his story then, https://priceonomics.com/the-invention-of-the-chilean-sea-bass/ His view on the eating qualities are mentioned towards the top of the article, and the possible extinction and campaigns like “Take A Pass On Chilean Sea Bass” are mentioned towards the bottom of the article. Chilean Patagonian Toothfish is rated "avoid" by Seafood Watch.

Not being contentious, but it's difficult to know what you're getting with the willful mislabeling on the one hand, and the name changes between Europe and America on the other. For real sea bass, Google would have you believe that sea bass is called "lubina" in Spanish, you won't have much luck finding lubina around here, I think. Róbalo maybe.
Without dwelling on philosophical disgregations about the fish name. El Mero is one of the most valued seafood in fancy restos. I don't care if the name is toothfish. I love this specimen.
It's like restos in Beverly Hills used to list Norwegian Smoked Salmon as a high ticket item. Later they replaced it with Chilean Smoked Salmon but never changed the Menu . Norwegian sells more.

Interesting the Lee Lantz article you quoted , is part of a series as mentioned below
This blog post is an excerpt from our mildly amusing book → Everything Is Bullshit.

Back