Argentina’s restaurants shine brightly (Micheline guide)

I think Aramburu deserves it. Not a fan of Don Julio...
I will have to try Trescha- thats the kind of place I go to when out of town guests want something fancy.
I really think their judges were staid and conservative- the 7 green stars include Don Julio again, and Preferido, same owners. I have eaten at both and find they unremarkable but with lots of attitude. Crizia never wowed me either.
But all make "important" people feel important, and I guess thats a plus for Michelin.

I do like a lot of the restaurants on the 42 runners up list, though.

Interesting. The effects of globalisation. I liked it better when resturants were Argentine in style of food and service.

10,000 restaurants in this city, many of them serve exactly the stuff they did 50 years ago. But Corte or Narda or Sucre or Bis are all 100% argentine, just very good quality.

Interesting. The effects of globalisation. I liked it better when resturants were Argentine in style of food and service.
for me this is a good thing. i don't have anything against old school service or menus, but if you serve the same regurgitated uncreative bland local food as everyone else that is not something to celebrate.

Iceberg lettuce and unripe tomato and grated carrot is a non-globalized salad, I guess. I like the globalized version with fresh greens grown an hour from BA, citrus fruit from the north of the country, and higher quality Mendoza olive oil and balsamic.

The chef made headlines in September 2023 when he took to Instagram to rail against Michelin’s star system and its effect on dining culture. His words were in response to the announcement made by the Argentine government that the country would become the first Spanish-speaking country in Latin America to be included in the French tire company’s famous guide.

“Today first page of The NY Times [sic],” Mallmann wrote in reference to a New York Times report titled “Michelin’s Coveted Stars Can Come With Some Costs.” “Argentina as well recently paid the 600K fee to Michelin to be part of the guide. They said that they will give stars to restaurants in Buenos Aires and Mendoza (where I have my restaurant 1884) that has been open for 25 years [sic].”

“After almost 50 years of cooking professionally, I truly wish we don’t get a star,” Mallmann continued. “If so, I would not accept it. But let us share bread, thoughts, and romance. Holding hands till the end of hope.”

for me this is a good thing. i don't have anything against old school service or menus, but if you serve the same regurgitated uncreative bland local food as everyone else that is not something to celebrate.
There is a place for tradition. I am sick of globalised cooking. I yearn for the traditional. I don't want Argentina to be like the US with 20+ year old old girls waiting on table, introducing themselves by their first names and asking how everything is. Let the Amerikuns have that. Conviviality, wine, conversation, no rush, polite service take prioroty over woke meuns as far as I'm concerned. I hate the global assaults

While there are, indeed, many fine Argentine restaurants, I notice many of them are not full these days! A sad comment on the times.

I think Aramburu deserves it. Not a fan of Don Julio...
I will have to try Trescha- thats the kind of place I go to when out of town guests want something fancy.
I really think their judges were staid and conservative- the 7 green stars include Don Julio again, and Preferido, same owners. I have eaten at both and find they unremarkable but with lots of attitude. Crizia never wowed me either.
But all make "important" people feel important, and I guess thats a plus for Michelin.

I do like a lot of the restaurants on the 42 runners up list, though.
Hi Ries, The Aramburu 18 course menu costs $200,000 pesos and the pairing wine $80,000 pesos..
Is this what you have experienced ?

Back