Argentina As A Model For Greece

camberiu

Registered
Great interview with an Argentine economist.

An interview with Miguel Ferreyra

Miguel Ferreyra de Bone is a finance professional and guest lecturer of Macroeconomics at the Universidad del Salvador in Buenos Aires, ARG, from which he has a degree in Business Administration and Commerce. During the course of his studies, he also completed coursework at the University of Vermont focused on International Economics and Latin Markets. Presently, he is engaged in research at Universidad del Salvador to determine an appropriate discount rate for investments in emerging markets.

Excellent article. Very refreshing to see another Argentine that understands something about real-world economics.

My sister-in-law gets the same kind of teaching at UADE from both Argentine economists and businessmen. First thing they say is "in order to survive in business in the real world, you have to forget about anything you previously learned here in Argentina."

From the interview:

As an Argentinean economist and professor focused on the Latin American markets, can you please share with us some of the factors which have led to the very repressive foreign exchange regime currently in place in your country?
Miguel Ferreyra de Bone: A dramatically overvalued exchange rate, where the Argentinean Peso had been pegged to the US dollar at 1, faulty fiscal and economic policies and a huge expansion in debt – both public and private – led to a sovereign default in 2001.
During the 1990s the debts just kept on piling up to pay for all sorts of expansionary policies. Eventually new debts had to be issued just to pay the interest of the prior debts, at which point the whole situation became unsustainable. This is somewhat similar to what happened in Greece.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[font=Lucida Grande']Despite of what Matias and many others claim, the underlined part cannot, under any circumstances, be associated with free market non-interventionist economic policies.[/font]
[font=Lucida Grande']To claim otherwise is to practice intellectual dishonesty. [/font]

It's wrong to dislike soccer thugs, bird-killers and pedophiles, then?

Ajo, I am a Catholic and not a pedophile. I know some soccer fans and a couple of republicans who aren't raging maniacs.

What I object to is your eagerness to unfairly label whole groups and to leap from the specific to the general. I get that you like to provoke reactions, but the predictability of these puerile attacks doesn't really add to the conversation, does it? You have a good mind; why not leave this act behind?

Reactions: Joe
Ajo, I am a Catholic and not a pedophile. I know some soccer fans and a couple of republicans who aren't raging maniacs.

What I object to is your eagerness to unfairly label whole groups and to leap from the specific to the general. I get that you like to provoke reactions, but the predictability of these puerile attacks doesn't really add to the conversation, does it? You have a good mind; why not leave this act behind?

I never said all Catholics were pedophiles, but the so-called priesthood has done little or nothing to root out pedophiles among them. In fact, it's engaged in a huge coverup: http://worldnews.nbc...x-abuse-scandal

Here's one of the most flagrant cases, right next door: http://www.reuters.c...N0MH0P220150322

It's an inherently corrupt institution, based on a false premise in any event, that deserves to be brought to justice.

You could argue, of course, that these guys exist to make the soccer thugs look good.

Back