Argentina buys 24 of Denmark’s aging F-16 fighter jets

The sale to Argentina was authorized by the US congress in October 2023.

If it was a good idea or not to proceed with the former government of Alberto Fernandez’ intent/ request to purchase at this time is another matter. It’s common knowledge that for years they were evaluating these F16s or a Chinese alternative and they decided on the F16s.

Yeah its been a while coming. This has not been a Milei thing I dont think as this descion would have had to have happened in Aug-23/Sep-23 if Congress authorised it in Oct-23 (Link). It did seem like a longer term plan for once that Milei and his team ran with.

I also think this brings the option of closer cooperation with Chilean airforce as well as they operate F-16s (although they are about to be modernised) but its the same weapons platfom essentially.

The F-16 is just the superior choice to anything else out there for Argentina at the moment. Its proven, cheap, reliable, and is just a fantastic little multirole fighter. There are tonnes of other aircraft that are better than it at doing specific things but its one of the most versatile aircraft out there. The JF-17 is still relatively unproven but looks really decent from what can be seen.

Yeah its been a while coming. This has not been a Milei thing I dont think as this descion would have had to have happened in Aug-23/Sep-23 if Congress authorised it in Oct-23 (Link). It did seem like a longer term plan for once that Milei and his team ran with.

I also think this brings the option of closer cooperation with Chilean airforce as well as they operate F-16s (although they are about to be modernised) but its the same weapons platfom essentially.

The F-16 is just the superior choice to anything else out there for Argentina at the moment. Its proven, cheap, reliable, and is just a fantastic little multirole fighter. There are tonnes of other aircraft that are better than it at doing specific things but its one of the most versatile aircraft out there. The JF-17 is still relatively unproven but looks really decent from what can be seen.

Yes, agreed about the F-16 being versatile and proven, but those particular airframes are still 40 years old. Four decades worth of metal fatigue is a factor to be considered.

Those A-4Q's Argentina bought from Uncle Sam for $50, 000 apiece just in time for the Malvinas War were only about half that age, and the USA pulled them out of the boneyard to be upgraded and sent south. Though one could argue they certainly did deliver value for that bargain basement price.

They are so obsolete that the UK does not complain.

The UK doesn't complain because at this stage it doesn't really care. It has no soul or backbone. It's just a globalized shite hole. If the Argentines want the islands it doesn't need F16s. They just need to swamp it with civilians arriving on the beaches claiming asylum.

Back