Argentina Can’t Pay $45 Billion IMF Loan Cristina says

Amusingly enough, the IMF is rethinking their entire modus operandi, and I think there is a very good chance that Fernandez WONT have to pay back the 45 billion. (which, just coincidentally, is almost exactly the 44 billion that Macri borrowed from the IMF).
The IMF, last year, agreed that Argentina's debt was "unsustainable" and was urging debt relief from private creditors. A lot of very smart IMF observers dont expect them to demand Argentina pay back its full debt.

https://www.wilsoncenter.org/blog-post/flirting-reconciliation-argentina-and-imf

Amusingly enough, the IMF is rethinking their entire modus operandi, and I think there is a very good chance that Fernandez WONT have to pay back the 45 billion. (which, just coincidentally, is almost exactly the 44 billion that Macri borrowed from the IMF).
The IMF, last year, agreed that Argentina's debt was "unsustainable" and was urging debt relief from private creditors. A lot of very smart IMF observers dont expect them to demand Argentina pay back its full debt.

https://www.wilsoncenter.org/blog-post/flirting-reconciliation-argentina-and-imf
One can’t pay with cash that one doesn’t have and chasing someone down for a few token assets that one can actually get their hands on doesn’t help either.

That said I really hope that the IMF don’t write it off it altogether. Argentina and Argentines need to learn how to behave. Instead I hope it simply gives more time and foregoes or reduces interest on the condition of some serious structural adjustments to make this and future governments more financially sensible and less opulent, and most importantly, less repulsive to private investors that are needed to generate the public funds to eventually pay back its obligations.

Argentina and Argentines need to learn how to behave.
If there is someone who need to "learn how to behave" is the IMF, who keeps doing the same thing over and over again while expecting a different outcome.

If there is someone who need to "learn how to behave" is the IMF, who keeps doing the same thing over and over again while expecting a different outcome.

The IMF could be described as people loaning money that's not theirs to people who expect other people to pay it back.

Back