Argentina history books?

hey, if you want a really cool Argentine Book buy anything from pablo gerchunoff, he's awesome and very objective.

as well, i recommend to you to watch "algo habrán hecho por la historia argentina", it's an awesome show. <3

ps: im not argentine and i learned a lot with those 2.

For a more specific period in Argentina history and to get a better understanding on the whole ambivalence that many Argentines still feel regarding the last dictatorship (at least we had no security problems, as my grandmother in law always likes to say, for example), I loved the books by Juan Bautista Yofre: Nadie Fue & Fuimos Todos.

The first describes the last years of Peron in Argentina after his return and the run-up to the military dictatorship, pointing out for example that Peron was a lot more involved and supportive of the actions against "leftist" elements like the AAA death squads, than the current Kirchnerite wing of the party would like to admit, who blame everything on Argentina's own Rasputin, Jose Lopez Rega

The second covers the actual '76-'83 dicatorship. Cheap pocket editions are available in all bookstores and even at supermarkets like Coto. The writer himself is a great example of the Argentine contradictions as well. He was actually for a short period in the late '80's head of the Intelligence Services under President Menem, giving him great contacts and access to all kinds of classified documents. He was also forced from office as even for the Menem regime his private business dealings were a bit too corrupt to conceal. He later reinvented himself as a journalist and as said the books provide some unique perspectives.

For an foreign insiders story regarding the same period in English "Dirty Secrets, Dirty War" is a must read. It's the story of heroic Buenos Aires Herald editor Robert Cox who risked his live in publishing on the disappearances and political murders during the period. It's written by his son David Cox. Again very interesting to read as he was through his function at the paper a de facto part of the Argentine upper class who at first almost wholeheartedly were in favor of the military restoring order. Only after more and more news of people disappearing started to come to him, he became active against the regime and in the end had to flee into exile to save his life and that of his family.

Both writers combined give you a good overview of the period and how history has more shades of grey than clearcut black and white

Kind regards,

Jobe

Back