Argentina inflation spikes to 92% as economic growth picks up

For those here living on US dollars, inflation here mostly isn't an important issue although I'm not sure how someone with access to only pesos survives.

For those here living on US dollars, inflation here mostly isn't an important issue although I'm not sure how someone with access to only pesos survives.
I would mildly disagree. The value of the dollar isn't going up as fast as prices are inflating, thus the real purchasing power of the dollar is drifting downward.

Of course, that's nothing like the full-on powerdive of the ARS. If the peso was an airplane, bitchin' betty would be screaming "pull up, pull up!"

It's a good thing I bought one of these less than three months ago, becasue my dollars would not go nearly as far now as they did then.

https://articulo.mercadolibre.com.a...loza-apoyo-vanitory-bano-porcelana-cuotas-_JM

This is what I paid ob Sept 25, 2022 when the exchange rate was $306 to one and I paid a 5% WU transfer fee:

Precio: $6.999,00

Envio: $1.292.56

Pagos: 12 x $690,96 (sin interes)

Total: $8.291,56

The seller is no longer offering the deliveryat a preset cost, and I am not sure if the delivery by correo is still possible.

THe bottom line:

The exchange rate has improved by about ten percent in the past three months, while the base price of the product has almost doubled and the number of monthly payments has been cut in half.

Last edited:
It's a good thing I bought one of these less than three months ago, becasue my dollars would not go nearly as far now as they did then.

https://articulo.mercadolibre.com.a...loza-apoyo-vanitory-bano-porcelana-cuotas-_JM

This is what I paid ob Sept 25, 2022 when the exchange rate was $306 to one and I paid a 5% WU transfer fee:

Precio: $6.999,00

Envio: $1.292.56

Pagos: 12 x $690,96 (sin interes)

Total: $8.291,56

The seller is no longer offering the deliveryat a preset cost, and I am not sure if the delivery by correo is still possible.

THe bottom line:

The exchange rate has improved by about ten percent in the past three months, while the base price of the product has almost doubled and the number of monthly payments has been cut in half.

A very interesting post, Steve. Thanks for sharing the details.

The thing I miss about American sinks is the overflow. I often wash smallclothes in the bathroom sink, and I can't count the number of times I have flooded the bathroom floor here in BsAs. My own idiocy is primarily to blame, of course, but it was sure nice to have that overflow in the US bathrooms, to backstop me when I had a brainfart.

Then those living on US dollars are probably getting social security. The average increase is $140.00 x 330 pesos. That covers a lot.

On a related note, Argentine Visa credit card purchases that are not paid in full by the "due date" (on or close to the first day of each month) are now subject to an annual interest rate of over 300%.

On a related note, Argentine Visa credit card purchases that are not paid in full by the "due date" (on or close to the first day of each month) are now subject to an annual interest rate of over 300%.

"In my father's house!"

"In my father's house!"
A suggestion for a change of user name if ever desired:

"The Messianic Marsupial"

I wonder how many will get it.

I confess that it took almost a minute for me to grasp the context. of the quoted sentence fragment...

..but I haven't been to Sunday School in over 50 years. 🤑

PS: "If the shoe fits, wear it. If the name fits, bear it."

Last edited:
Back