Argentina is Third best place for maternity

soleta

Registered
In a study from Women on the Front Lines of Health Care State of the World Mothers 2010 Argentina has a nice third place in the category of "Less Developed Countries". Number one is Cuba.

In the More developed Countries Norway is Number One

To download the complete study, click on "Estado Mundial de las Madres" blue link at this note from La Nación: http://www.lanacion.com.ar/nota.asp?nota_id=1261037 Itś in english, really interesting.

What do you think?
How has it been being a mom here in Buenos Aires?

(I had to put the link because I couldńt upload the direct pdf)

Terrible!!! They make plans to cut you open even before your due date! I had to beg my gynae to let me go even one week past the estimated date.

They obviously never visited the hospital in Iguazú where my son was born!

Besides the fact that it's filthy and has no facilities, the attitude of the doctor in attendance at the birth was a disgrace - anywhere else I would have reported her and she would never have practiced medicine again.

It also didn't help that there were no drugs available.
Epidural? Pfft, no chance, and even if they had it I wouldn't have trusted them to administer it. Diamorphine, Pethidine? Ha, ha! They didn't even have gas & O2.

And post-birth was a joke. We were never given an APGAR score and then mother and baby were left unattended for the next 20 hours - no-one even asked if they were ok or offered any food or drink.

Just a quick explanation because I think this article was a bit misleading. I have read the source of this article, the study done by Save the Children, a group which publishes an annual report called "State of the World's Mothers"
Yes, Argentina is ranked 3rd among "less developed" countries for best places to be a mother. However, it is not rated based on the aesthetics, cleanliness, or positive experience reported by mothers giving birth (given the replies posted this may not surprise some of you)

The index was developed based on these factors:

1. Risk of maternal death
2. Percent of birth attended by a skilled professional
3. Percent of women using contraception
4. Female life expectancy at birth
5. Number of years of education completed
6. Maternity Leave Benefits
7. Ratio of Male to Female Earned Income
8. Participation of women in national government

Essentially, this index is saying that Argentina is a SAFE place to have a baby and the mothers are well educated, have long life expectancies, etc.

Here is the link to the report if you are interested:

http://www.savethechildren.org/publ...0-Women-on-the-Front-Lines-of-Health-Care.pdf

RNazz said:
Just a quick explanation because I think this article was a bit misleading. I have read the source of this article, the study done by Save the Children, a group which publishes an annual report called "State of the World's Mothers"
Yes, Argentina is ranked 3rd among "less developed" countries for best places to be a mother. However, it is not rated based on the aesthetics, cleanliness, or positive experience reported by mothers giving birth (given the replies posted this may not surprise some of you)

The index was developed based on these factors:

1. Risk of maternal death
2. Percent of birth attended by a skilled professional
3. Percent of women using contraception
4. Female life expectancy at birth
5. Number of years of education completed
6. Maternity Leave Benefits
7. Ratio of Male to Female Earned Income
8. Participation of women in national government

Essentially, this index is saying that Argentina is a SAFE place to have a baby and the mothers are well educated, have long life expectancies, etc.

Here is the link to the report if you are interested:

http://www.savethechildren.org/publ...0-Women-on-the-Front-Lines-of-Health-Care.pdf

Thanks for putting the direct PDF, I had read it too but couldnt put the link correctly. Hope your new input turns this thread towards a more interesting debate. :)

Back