Argentina launches naval campaign to isolate Falkland Islands

esllou

Registered
Glad they finally manned up and did something instead of talking smack incessantly.

PhilipDT said:
That just seems immature.

How's that? The islands and surrounding water are still disputed. How is it that the UK has a right to colonize islands 5,000 miles away? I think the Malvinas war was a bad idea on both sides, but I don't have any sympathy for the Brits continuing to occupy. I suspect the dispute will continue to heat up because there's petrolium in the area under dispute.

kurtdillard said:
How's that? The islands and surrounding water are still disputed. How is it that the UK has a right to colonize islands 5,000 miles away? I think the Malvinas war was a bad idea on both sides, but I don't have any sympathy for the Brits continuing to occupy. I suspect the dispute will continue to heat up because there's petrolium in the area under dispute.

I think occupy carries the wrong connotation. The islanders, whose families have lived there for generations, speak English, and self-identify as British subjects. I think that if the islands were to be ceded to Argentina at the moment that would much more of an "occupation".

It's immature because there is no way that there is actually going to be another armed Malvinas conflict. If there were, this could be considered a first assertion of sovereignty, but since it not going to be backed up by anything other than national whining, this just seems like immature harassment.

Are you from England by any chance ?

PhilipDT said:
It's immature because there is no way that there is actually going to be another armed Malvinas conflict. If there were, this could be considered a first assertion of sovereignty, but since it not going to be backed up by anything other than national whining, this just seems like immature harassment.

it's always about oil, or the money or army to get it

Is that the equivalent of being from england ?? If I had known that you would take it as an insult, I would have never implied you were from england.

PhilipDT said:
No. Are you from below a bridge somewhere?

Back