Argentina launches naval campaign to isolate Falkland Islands

TheBlackHand said:
Is that the equivalent of being from england ?? If I had known that you would take it as an insult, I would have never implied you were from england.

No, but it is generally where trolls come from.

Isn't that what colonization is all about ? Taking what's not yours for the purpose of exploiting it's resources. That's pretty much how first world countries have made their money for the past 5 or so centuries.
DJP said:
it's always about oil, or the money or army to get it

You should ask him if he is from UK instead or British, then he can't escape the answer. :D

A toothless and decrepit old power like Britain cannot keep an island 7,000 miles away indefinitely. It will revert sooner or later to Argentina. I doubt Britain can even afford another armed engagement. The Argentinians just have to be patient while Britain continues to implode.

As someone who visited there a few weeks before the war, I thought it was idiotic for people to fight and die for such a God-forsaken desolate place. I was there to check out shipwrecks, and saw a lot of penguins and sheep. The people there were British, and wanted nothing to do with the Junta Militar. If Argentina had been smart, they could have had those islands except for their military activism and machismo. It seems that any time the Argentine ecomony or politics go bad, they divert people's attention to the "Malvinas" as a cause to unite the populace. If Argentina wanted those islands, the time to act was two centuries ago, not now. If we roll back the clock arbitrarily to that date, the Mapuches would own Patagonia.

KURTDILLARD ///How is it that the UK has a right to colonize islands 5,000 miles away?

5000 miles away from where? And what are your origins KURTDILLARD, and which history books have you read, before I crucify you as a 1 cellular organism.

bigbadwolf said:
A toothless and decrepit old power like Britain cannot keep an island 7,000 miles away indefinitely. It will revert sooner or later to Argentina. I doubt Britain can even afford another armed engagement. The Argentinians just have to be patient while Britain continues to implode.

Indeed...but 150 years of patience is a lot of patience in any language, BTW 30 years more of patience added and counting...

Who cares about that

You guys got a huge unpopulated fertile and resources rich country

The Malvinas thing is there just to draw your attention from stuff that really matters

elclandestino said:
Who cares about that

You guys got a huge unpopulated fertile and resources rich country

The Malvinas thing is there just to draw your attention from stuff that really matters

There's rumor of oil around the islands. Otherwise no-one gives a rat's a$$ about the islands per se. It's an albatross around the neck of a country in precipitous decline. The little fracas back in '82 was because the Argentinian generals were trying to divert their people's attention away from their own domestic problems and because an unpopular and incompetent British prime minister, needing to do likewise with her disgruntled people, welcomed the casus belli (which allowed here to win the general election the next year).

Back