Argentina Missing Submarine

I can't help but wonder if the ARA San Juan would still be afloat today if the repairs carried out in 2011 had been made in Brazil instead of Argentina.
Cristina made a big deal out of it when the Sub was launched last year. I would't be surprised if her administration, rife with corruption and shoddy workmanship had something to do with it's demise. The ARA Salta the "twin" of the ARA San Juan is still afloat today. It was repaired in Brazil.
Corruption kills.

The site where it was found was exactly the coordinates where the first implosion was detected by the Nuclear Testing Org. or something like that..

I can't help but wonder if the ARA San Juan would still be afloat today if the repairs carried out in 2011 had been made in Brazil instead of Argentina.
Cristina made a big deal out of it when the Sub was launched last year. I would't be surprised if her administration, rife with corruption and shoddy workmanship had something to do with it's demise. The ARA Salta the "twin" of the ARA San Juan is still afloat today. It was repaired in Brazil.
Corruption kills.

Santa Cruz received its mid-life modernization at Arsenal de Marinha, Rio de Janeiro Brazil between September 1999 and 2001.[2] The work involved the replacement of the engines, batteries, and sonar. Her sister boatSan Juan entered the Astillero Domecq Garcia shipyard to receive her refit in 2007;[8] she completed refit in 2013.[9]

And yes, it is very possible, even likely, that a poorly done mid-life modernization was a major cause of the accident.
Brazil has the know how to build submarines in-house. Argentina does not. The decision to conduct a mid-life upgrade of the San Juan in Argentina, a process in which the sub is literally cut open, gutted and completely rebuild, was a political one. And that was probably what doomed the sub.

Last edited:
Back