Argentina now ridiculously cheap for tourists

Last edited:
I found contact lenses are much cheaper than in Canada/US at

They even offered free eye exam (reimbursed at the purchase of lens), but looks like no more.
Yeah I use these guys but even the cheapest lenses are far more expensive than the UK (we also get free eye exams there) - so it horrifies me how they expect people earning in pesos to afford it

I sppose you have to compare the running costs of a car here compared to the UK. I haven't a clue but I'd guess it is a lot cheaper here....even if done kosher.
I guess, but then wouldn't it be relative to the already lower wages here? It's also worth remembering drivers of Uber (eventually) and taxis are not keeping all of the money they earn on a fare. I know drivers of Uber use cash so they can avoid paying the company for as long as possible, but eventually they must pay. I believe Uber keeps 25% of all fares, but many reports say it pushes up to as high as 40% for some. I am not sure about data on taxi drivers.

Let's use 25% and use it against an average fare of 300 pesos, which sounds about right because some trips would be less (short hops) and others may be longer (airport). So, from the average fare the Uber driver keeps 225 pesos, or around $1.50 or just over £1. The average number of Uber trips for drivers per day is 7.5, which would mean 1700 pesos - rounded up - per day. Assuming the driver works six days a week through a four week period, that would be averaging 44,000 over a thirty day period working 26 of those days. That's less than $300.

I would guess in the UK/US the average Uber driver will earn more, but probably not by a lot based on averages. That said, Uber is a side gig job in many cities whereas here I know a lot of people where it is their only job. Even if someone in Buenos Aires worked above the average hours (4) for an Uber driver and essentially doubled their fare count per day, they would still only be getting just under 90,000 pesos a month.

I don't know, maybe I am missing something but I think paying less than a dollar to be driven in the back of a car in comfort for 10 blocks is too cheap. I get it, the economy dictates the price and it is what it is, but this is a thread about Argentina becoming inexpensive and Uber/taxis are an obvious example for me to demonstrate how financially comfortable it is becoming here for dollar earners.

I don't know, maybe I am missing something but I think paying less than a dollar to be driven in the back of a car in comfort for 10 blocks is too cheap. I get it, the economy dictates the price and it is what it is, but this is a thread about Argentina becoming inexpensive and Uber/taxis are an obvious example for me to demonstrate how financially comfortable it is becoming here for dollar earners.

It's a strange one. Transport has always been 'cheap' here taxis especially. We used to hire one when we went to the capital for the day which is a two hour journey away. Even with the waiting time it made sense rather than using a bus.
Yet at the same time other goods and services can be expensive in comparison.

I guess, but then wouldn't it be relative to the already lower wages here? It's also worth remembering drivers of Uber (eventually) and taxis are not keeping all of the money they earn on a fare. I know drivers of Uber use cash so they can avoid paying the company for as long as possible, but eventually they must pay. I believe Uber keeps 25% of all fares, but many reports say it pushes up to as high as 40% for some. I am not sure about data on taxi drivers.

Let's use 25% and use it against an average fare of 300 pesos, which sounds about right because some trips would be less (short hops) and others may be longer (airport). So, from the average fare the Uber driver keeps 225 pesos, or around $1.50 or just over £1. The average number of Uber trips for drivers per day is 7.5, which would mean 1700 pesos - rounded up - per day. Assuming the driver works six days a week through a four week period, that would be averaging 44,000 over a thirty day period working 26 of those days. That's less than $300.

I would guess in the UK/US the average Uber driver will earn more, but probably not by a lot based on averages. That said, Uber is a side gig job in many cities whereas here I know a lot of people where it is their only job. Even if someone in Buenos Aires worked above the average hours (4) for an Uber driver and essentially doubled their fare count per day, they would still only be getting just under 90,000 pesos a month.

If they didn't make any money at it people would not drive for uber.

There's some operating expenses that must be very low to allow it to be profitable. Like they own the vehicle outright and dont care about operating costs or fuel prices are kept low by the gov.

The thing that gets me at the moment are the huge price disparities between shops/ restaurants.

For example a plate at one trendy restaurant in Palermo will go for about $500, when next door a similar plate at a similarly trendy restaurant in Palermo, $800. Cocktails $250 at one Palermo bar, $400 at the next Palermo bar.

Likewise for clothing, higher end local shops that traditionally had “similar” prices for a garment varies (a shirt for example) at $6000 at one and $12000 at the other.

Even avocados will go for $75 at one place and $130 down the road.

In terms of price increases, a bike that sold for $25000 in May, now goes for $80000. My habitual loaf of bread from my local bakery was $185 in August and now is $380.

No logic or sense of how much things “should” cost at the moment. Not just inflation or FX fluctuation at play, but strange supply/ demand behavior and good old fashioned opportunism.

The price of a KitKat being one example of price difference. Never fails to amaze me that a small Kiosco here charges 45 pesos for one while a large chain supermaket just down the road wants over 100.

Or the Telepase road tolls - driving from Ezeiza (neighborhood) to CABA the first two tolls are $20, then the second toll (for the shortest part of the drive) is suddenly $180!?

Good point about the KitKats... where else does a main course at a mid-high end restaurant cost the equivalent of 4 or 5 KitKats, or 1.5 loaves of bread!?

I can't believe a small pack of Lucky Strike is still only 85 ARS at my local kiosko (slightly up from 75 a year ago). If I had less self-control, I would have picked up the habit again after moving here.

Back