Argentina on the cusp of hyperinflation

It's not just Argentina that is suffering from inflation, this happened in Texas:

The price of the Beefy Crunch Burrito had gone up from 99 cents to $1.49 and the man at the Rigsby Road Taco Bell drive-thru had just ordered seven.

The fast food customer was so disgruntled by the price hike he shot an air gun at the manager, displayed an assault rifle and pistol while in the restaurant’s parking lot, fled as police were called, and pointed one of his weapons at three officers who pulled him over. Fleeing when they opened fire, he barricaded himself in his hotel room — all over $3.50 plus additional tax.

http://www.disinfo.com/2011/03/texas-man-fires-gun-engages-in-motel-room-police-standoff-over-taco-bell-price-increase/

"all over $3.50 plus additional tax."

It wasn't the $3.50, it was the 50% increase...I've noticed that locals don't complain about the price hikes, only expats. Try making a comment in the supermarket queue and see the reactions, it's not the done thing. Back home, everyone would join in and have a friendly moan...

CarverFan said:
I've noticed that locals don't complain about the price hikes, only expats.

I guess it's a scenario many people believed couldn't be avoided forever and are now resigned to the "inevitable". At least in my 35-year experience, with the exception of the 1 a 1 decade, inflation was business as usual.

What's hard for me to believe is after 20 years of this Peso version, the 100 bill remains the highest denomination. I've seen Peso Ley, Peso Argentino and Austral go 500, 1000, and so on. Peso Ley had a 1,000,000 note. Even the poor were millionaires back then! :p

Yeah, we need a bigger banknote and a bigger cash withdrawal limit. We all know this government's in denial about it's inflation problem, it's like a size 16 woman still squeezing herself into her old size 8 jeans...

Joe said:
It's not just Argentina that is suffering from inflation, this happened in Texas:

http://www.disinfo.com/2011/03/texa...olice-standoff-over-taco-bell-price-increase/

CarverFan said:
"all over $3.50 plus additional tax."

It wasn't the $3.50, it was the 50% increase...I've noticed that locals don't complain about the price hikes, only expats. Try making a comment in the supermarket queue and see the reactions, it's not the done thing. Back home, everyone would join in and have a friendly moan...

I think that this says it all.

dont_mess_with_texas_woodgrain.jpg

You’re right Gouchobob, the government seem to be pursuing a policy of growth at all costs, regardless of inflation. I know I keep bringing up similarities to Weimar but that is what they did in post-WWI Germany. Germany went on an inflationary growth period after the war compared to the other major nations, the victors in the war. They took a deflationary policy. The result was a sharp, yet moderately short depression in Britain, the US etc with almost 20% unemployment in Britain. This was compared to Germany, which had full employment. Of course there were other reasons for Germany’s policy, including the idea that if inflation was high it would be impossible to fix an adequate reparations price etc. But it was a way of mitigating the social effects of high unemployment that low growth would have allowed to fester without inflation. Argentina seems to be doing that. Also the government spending and largesse is of course a good way to pay off and buy supporters for elections such as the upcoming Presidential election. But virtually all growth comes to an end soon and this policy is totally unsustainable.

China is a biggie. There is certainly a boom, which although the Chinese government is trying to prevent going out of control, there does seem to be signs of oversupply. It could all fall apart. One just has to look at Japan. From what I remember from New Years Eve 1989 when the Nikkei hit its highest nearly 40,000 points it dropped and by 1993 a housing bust occurred, saddling Japanese banks with horrific debt that left them almost zombie-like. Japan is still wrestling with the effects of that. Come to think of it, has any property bubble been successfully deflated without major impact on the overall economy? Anywhere? Maybe someone could help me out on that one.

But they are dangerous things and I see the effects of it in my home country of Ireland. While there isn’t the mad speculative frenzy that occurred in Ireland, yet, that could occur soon but it is not necessary for things to get out of hand. There is a real danger in China of things getting out of control. If it happens it wont be pretty for all and it will have an effect in Argentina. China is slowly becoming the biggest consumer in the world. If a bust happened even now it will have consequences for people in Argentina. That’s globalization for you!

The government’s policy of fining anyone who gives inflation figures that differ from the national statistics agency is just proof that they know what is going on and see the danger of it. I suppose people don’t complain about it as much as inflation seems to be something the people of Argentina are used to. Just like the rain at home in Ireland, us Irish might grumble but we take it as part of the environment. Inflation is part of the economic and social environment of Argentina.

The government’s policy of fining anyone who gives inflation figures that differ from the national statistics agency is just proof that they know what is going on and see the danger of it.

The government gave fines to those consultoras that failed to explain how do they calculate their inflation figures, under false advertisement, not to those whose figures are different. The INDEC figures are doctored changing the way of calculating the inflation, but the info about the methods is shown, so this does not apply to the INDEC. We criticize this, of course, but one thing is to change the methods of calculation and disagree with it, the other one is to say any number without saying how you get them.

Conorworld said:
You’re right Gouchobob, the government seem to be pursuing a policy of growth at all costs, regardless of inflation. I know I keep bringing up similarities to Weimar but that is what they did in post-WWI Germany. Germany went on an inflationary growth period after the war compared to the other major nations, the victors in the war. They took a deflationary policy. The result was a sharp, yet moderately short depression in Britain, the US etc with almost 20% unemployment in Britain. This was compared to Germany, which had full employment. Of course there were other reasons for Germany’s policy, including the idea that if inflation was high it would be impossible to fix an adequate reparations price etc. But it was a way of mitigating the social effects of high unemployment that low growth would have allowed to fester without inflation. Argentina seems to be doing that. Also the government spending and largesse is of course a good way to pay off and buy supporters for elections such as the upcoming Presidential election. But virtually all growth comes to an end soon and this policy is totally unsustainable.

China is a biggie. There is certainly a boom, which although the Chinese government is trying to prevent going out of control, there does seem to be signs of oversupply. It could all fall apart. One just has to look at Japan. From what I remember from New Years Eve 1989 when the Nikkei hit its highest nearly 40,000 points it dropped and by 1993 a housing bust occurred, saddling Japanese banks with horrific debt that left them almost zombie-like. Japan is still wrestling with the effects of that. Come to think of it, has any property bubble been successfully deflated without major impact on the overall economy? Anywhere? Maybe someone could help me out on that one.

But they are dangerous things and I see the effects of it in my home country of Ireland. While there isn’t the mad speculative frenzy that occurred in Ireland, yet, that could occur soon but it is not necessary for things to get out of hand. There is a real danger in China of things getting out of control. If it happens it wont be pretty for all and it will have an effect in Argentina. China is slowly becoming the biggest consumer in the world. If a bust happened even now it will have consequences for people in Argentina. That’s globalization for you!

The government’s policy of fining anyone who gives inflation figures that differ from the national statistics agency is just proof that they know what is going on and see the danger of it. I suppose people don’t complain about it as much as inflation seems to be something the people of Argentina are used to. Just like the rain at home in Ireland, us Irish might grumble but we take it as part of the environment. Inflation is part of the economic and social environment of Argentina.

I agree with just about everything you say. I don't think Argentina is on a sustainable path economically, I believe problems in China could be the trigger to an unraveling here. China's problem is that it is more or less a command economy that is doomed to major problems because command economies always end up miss-allocating resources which sooner or later results in big problems. China's success up to this point has been due largely to having a huge poll of cheap labor that could produce goods cheaply. I think there should be a lot more skepticism on how well they will do as they try to move beyond being just the low cost manufacturer of the world. I think they will have a very difficult time and that their progress from this point forward is going to be a lot slower.

In answer to your question on real estate bubbles I don't think any have been successfully deflated once they have occurred, they all deflate eventually but with a lot of economic damage.

perry said:
Anyone claiming that the US dollar is a safe currency has rocks in their heads . Since 2003 the US dollar has lost over 70 percent of its buying power in Argentina due to inflation . Most big ticket item in dollar terms has tripled in price since then . The USA is the biggest printer of currencies worldwide and its printing presses have gone haywire of late causing the inflation we are seeing at rampant levels worldwide.

Keeping fiat currencies as savings is a fools game . Keep your money safe in gold, silver , perishable foods and carefully selected property investments.

The US dollar is now deflating at record rates worldwide and inflation has never been higher from China. Russia. Europe and all the planet.

Well its too early to tell but based on this weeks events the commodity bubble may have popped. Silver has gone from 50 to about 35 an ounce or about a 30% drop in 5 days. Gold and other commodities are all down and the dollar up. Again if commodities drop in price significantly and stay down this will have a big negative impact on Latin American economies including Argentina. This could be the catalyst for the next big economic crisis in Argentina and elsewhere. People are concerned growth is slowing particularly in China which will decrease demand. Overall impact of commodities decline will be deflationary worldwide and very positive for dollar based assets at least for the time being.

Back