Argentina Pitches Its Weak Currency to Attract Digital Nomads

I don't know what her name was, I just remember Steve mentioning someone assisting people with visa applications.

Steve, I saw in one of your older posts that you mentioned a woman that went with people applying for a retirement visa to assist with spanish and I was wondering if you could give me her contact information? thank you SJL
I will contact her and ask if she is still interested in doing this. I should know later today.

Isn't it stilll possible to get a 90 day extension of a 90 day (not three months) tourist visa at the office of migraciones, thus allowing a "digital nomad" to to stay in Argentina for 180 days at a time (officially as a tourist)?

As far as I know, yes, but that still isn't a solution for remote digital workers who prefer to stay in locations for longer than 6 months.

I agree completely and, like you, I would not use the word "nomad" when mentioning "digital workers who prefer to stay in locations for longer than 6 months."

The article should have mentioned the possibility of getting the 90 day prorroga. Perhaps the author was not aware of it. Perhaps the designers of the program hope that foreigners who might otherwise apply for the six month version of it don't know about it, either.

If I was employed by a US business, could work remotely (outside the US), and did not want to pay income taxes in any country (including the US), I would move every six months. That would make me a digital nomad. Getting on board with the annual version of this program woud not.

Steve, I saw in one of your older posts that you mentioned a woman that went with people applying for a retirement visa to assist with spanish and I was wondering if you could give me her contact information? thank you SJL
Her name is Patricia and she is avialable. I will send you her WhatsApp contact information in a private message.

The charge to go with you to assist with the translation is $250 USD "as many times as necessary" (if more than one visit is required). The charge to go once is $175 USD and $75 for each additional trip. Either way, payment is required in advance on the day of the appointment(s).

Please kep in mind that you are responsible to have everything you need. Patricia does not provide any advice about the process itself.

When I first applied for temporary residnecy I spoke almost no Spanish. Patricia made everything go smoothly, including getting the agent to accept two months of ATM receipts as "proof" that I had access to my foreign income in Argentina (without certification by an Argentine accuntant). I serioulsy doubt that is possible now.

On the first renewal of my temporary residency, she was able to save me an extra trip to migraciones as well as the cost of getting an updated, apostilled letter from the lawyer in the US to "verify" the trust which she wrote) and provided my monthly income was still valid. Patricia translated my point that the trust was irrevocable and that the updated (new) letter from a bank officer verified that the bank continued to receive monthly deposits from the trust. Until she did

Though I had to pay for the Apostille and having it sent to me Fed-Ex, the bank officer did not charge to write the letter or having it notarized. The lawyer would have charged about $450 USD )the amount she charged the previous year when I applied for the residency.

PS: I got the second renewal on my own and on the third renewal l was granted permanent residency. I went to migraciones on my own for that, but I also had help from the wonderful Argentine wife of an expat from Canada who made several phone calls for me to check when I could return to get the cambio de categoria recorded in my DNI booklet.

Last edited:
If I was employed by a US business, could work remotely (outside the US), and did not want to pay income taxes in any country (including the US), I would move every six months. That would make me a digital nomad. Getting on board with the annual version of this program woud not.

US citizens and US residents (to an extent) have an obligation to file with the IRS. It's really hard to avoid US taxes. However, living abroad nets you an 80,000 USD Foreign tax credit. Talk to a tax person.

FYI, i'm not a tax person, don't take my advice as gospel. Do your own research etc.

US citizens and US residents (to an extent) have an obligation to file with the IRS. It's really hard to avoid US taxes. However, living abroad nets you an 80,000 USD Foreign tax credit. Talk to a tax person.

FYI, i'm not a tax person, don't take my advice as gospel. Do your own research etc.

Yes, it is necessary to file a tax return to get the foreign tax credit to avoid paying US income tax on income earned abroad (the amount may now be greater than $80K) and if I understand correctly, the tax credit only applies if one is physically present in the USA less than 30 days per year.

And, as far as I know, it only applies to individuals who are employed and, unless they are paying into a Social Security type program in another country, they would have to pay FICA (Social Security tax) in the USA on the income they earn while living outside the USA.

If I wanted to be a "digital nomad and not pay income tax in any country I would stay in the USA less than 30 days per year and not exceed six months in any other country.

PS: I am a US citizen and I live in Argentina 365 days of the year.I have no foreign income and I haven't filed a US federal tax return in almost ten years.

I have been told by a CPA ( simply based on my level of income) that I have no obligation to file with the IRS.

Last edited:
yea, if you don't make over the threshold, you don't _have_ to file. I don't know your circumstances, but my circumstances will tell me i need to file forever.

yea, if you don't make over the threshold, you don't _have_ to file. I don't know your circumstances, but my circumstances will tell me i need to file forever.
Given the current threshold, I would be very happy if I had to file!

Back