Argentina re-opening international flights in August!

Political trade-off between CABA and PBA...

1597008805766.png

Last edited:
Depends on which Europeans you're talking about.
Chile is not permitting international travelers (except for transit) until 2021.

Sure but they never *banned* anything. There are still domestic flights and commercial int'l flights to the US/EU. Those that can fly and need to do. Airlines reduced capacity according to the rules/restrictions in place. Instead in Argentina (there are still flights) you have an opaque approval process where airlines have to request authorization for every single special flight in July, August... -- corruption conditions 101. Logic? None.

I have said this many times before. Unlike Australia and NZ, Argentina cannot eradicate the virus it can only suppress it and follow the European example -- Germany's best in this case. Flights in Europea have been on for several months now. Conditions change every day so restrictions are examined daily. For instance Austria allowed all flights within the EU then they banned some EU countries for 2 weeks and eventually allowed the flights back on but asked for a negative PCR test before travel. You see the virus will be around for a year or so, imposing an inflexible illogical one-size fits all bans is counterproductive. I have been a proponent of allowing limited travel with a negative PCR for a long time as it's as good at limiting (not avoiding) bringing in covid-19 as the 14 day quarantine policy currently in place. In Argentina you are NOT tested when you leave quarantine (which you do in your own home) after 14 days and a certain number of people would still be contagious and could spread it. Not to mention many people live with other family members and it's highly doubtful the correct protocols will be observed, family members strictly isolating in their room for 2 weeks, not visiting common spaces etc. In AUS/NZ with their irradiation policy -- you are isolated in a hotel and guarded 24/7 and tested before they let you leave quarantine.

Last edited:
As a form of outdoor exercise one can walk everywhere but running on a predetermined circuit/area is prohibited. Where is the logic?
com on, Gracielle...the logic is logical.....it's easier to maintain social distancing while you are walking......you wear a mask while you are walking.....you are not passing people and breathing heavily (sans a mask) while walking......we have to be patient.....it will all come back if we don't jump the gun as they have done in the US......take care

com on, Gracielle...the logic is logical.....it's easier to maintain social distancing while you are walking......you wear a mask while you are walking.....you are not passing people and breathing heavily (sans a mask) while walking......we have to be patient.....it will all come back if we don't jump the gun as they have done in the US......take care
If you trace 1 case per 10,000 that is the result of jogging in the park I will nominate you for a Nobel price.

Hi zensailor, if that is the case, why can runners be required to wear masks as well?
What it would take to transmit the virus outdoors
To ease fears further, in a read-by-everyone blog post about COVID-19 risks in early May, Erin Bromage, PhD, an immunologist and professor of biology at Dartmouth wrote: “You would have to be in [the jogger’s] airstream for over five minutes for a chance of infection,” he writes. Plus, he adds that the infinite outdoor environment dilutes the virus, as does sunlight, heat, and humidity. From his research, Dr. Bromage stresses that both dose and time of direct contact are the factors that determine infection, which is why exercises that involve forward momentum (like running) likely have a lower risk.....

I can site additional scientific articles published recently re: this topic. The reason that this activity is not permitted in CABA is a trade off in the negotiations between Larreta and Kicillof. Keep well....

I can site additional scientific articles published recently re: this topic. The reason that this activity is not permitted in CABA is a trade off in the negotiations between Larreta and Kicillof. Keep well....

Maybe I live in a different CABA from everyone else, but in the past week I've seen maskless people running and playing fútbol at my local park in full view of the police.

Sure but they never *banned* anything. There are still domestic flights and commercial int'l flights to the US/EU. Those that can fly and need to do. Airlines reduced capacity according to the rules/restrictions in place. Instead in Argentina (there are still flights) you have an opaque approval process where airlines have to request authorization for every single special flight in July, August... -- corruption conditions 101. Logic? None.

I have said this many times before. Unlike Australia and NZ, Argentina cannot eradicate the virus it can only suppress it and follow the European example -- Germany's best in this case. Flights in Europea have been on for several months now. Conditions change every day so restrictions are examined daily. For instance Austria allowed all flights within the EU then they banned some EU countries for 2 weeks and eventually allowed the flights back on but asked for a negative PCR test before travel. You see the virus will be around for a year or so, imposing an inflexible illogical one-size fits all bans is counterproductive. I have been a proponent of allowing limited travel with a negative PCR for a long time as it's as good at limiting (not avoiding) bringing in covid-19 as the 14 day quarantine policy currently in place. In Argentina you are NOT tested when you leave quarantine (which you do in your own home) after 14 days and a certain number of people would still be contagious and could spread it. Not to mention many people live with other family members and it's highly doubtful the correct protocols will be observed, family members strictly isolating in their room for 2 weeks, not visiting common spaces etc. In AUS/NZ with their irradiation policy -- you are isolated in a hotel and guarded 24/7 and tested before they let you leave quarantine.
I think the key difference between EU and Argentina is regional integration. In the EU there were massive efforts to coordinate and enable travel between most member states and "low risk" non-member states, while travellers from all other places are actually banned. Australia and NZ actually have pretty strict travel bans in place - almost all foreign nationalities are banned from entering the country. In Australia, residents must get permission from a Ministry to be allowed to travel abroad. Hence travel bans are in place all around the world in some form or another.
Now the fact today is that Argentina is in the top 10 of countries where the virus is spreading the fastest around the world - which means we are viewed as an extreme risk globally - very few will want to visit us and even fewer will accept us as tourists or business travellers. Two to tango and all that...

The flight sale ban was an issue because it was seen as unfairly interfering in private business with existing mechanisms in place to solve the issue they were trying to "protect" consumers from. Now we are just back to a "buyer beware" situation and actually leaving it up to the airlines to decide if they will want (and be able) to operate knowing that non-residents are banned from entering Argentina.

Frankly before we can even start to dream about normalized international travel, we need to see normalized domestic travel. Today even to travel to Pinamar there are travel bans of some forms in place!

Back