Argentina re-opening international flights in August!

Another thing to think about is who wants to visit us right now and is willing to accept the personal risk, and as always who will have us.

Holiday in Brazil tomorrow, anyone? Well it may surprise you to know that it now seems AMBA has more daily cases and deaths on average than the state of Río de Janeiro in recent weeks. We are hardly any better at this point in time in terms of appeal.

Already at this stage, Air Canada have pushed flights to EZE back to October. Emirates indefinitely suspend EZE. Turkish, Ethiopian and Lufthansa still have no firm dates in mind to actually resume services. No one is in a rush to get back here even if border controls were lifted on 01SEP. Argentina is a super long flight from most places and the economics of that makes flying half empty planes very challenging indeed - a market that at this moment is not considered worth competing over by many companies and better off just leaving it to a few of the braver ones.

That was my point. No need to forbid anything. Let the market dictate. Ask people to provide a negative PCR and to have a health insurance. It's obvious not many will travel to BA but some will. Now the question here is that the government clearly wants to make sure people fly on Aerolineas Argentinas. So my guess is that for political reasons they will delay the "official" opening of the borders but still let AR and a few other fly on "special" flights. Economically and scientifically makes little sense. But politically sure...

That was my point. No need to forbid anything. Let the market dictate. Ask people to provide a negative PCR and to have a health insurance. It's obvious not many will travel to BA but some will. Now the question here is that the government clearly wants to make sure people fly on Aerolineas Argentinas. So my guess is that for political reasons they will delay the "official" opening of the borders but still let AR and a few other fly on "special" flights. Economically and scientifically makes little sense. But politically sure...
I was thinking this about AR too, but I get the feeling they are actually trying to save money and avoid risk. For example they are letting AZ have the FCO flights and IB have the majority of the MAD flights while they just do a few, probably linked more to cargo and reparation needs of the government that can be paid in pesos rather than hard currency. Hence I think they are trying to hibernate and wait some routes out as much as possible (especially since they are one of the few companies who can get away with paying their staff only 50% salary...)

Reactions: ben
I was thinking this about AR too, but I get the feeling they are actually trying to save money and avoid risk. For example they are letting AZ have the FCO flights and IB have the majority of the MAD flights while they just do a few, probably linked more to cargo and reparation needs of the government that can be paid in pesos rather than hard currency. Hence I think they are trying to hibernate and wait some routes out as much as possible (especially since they are one of the few companies who can get away with paying their staff only 50% salary...)

Yes, you are right. BUT how long do you think the unions will allow AR to pay 50%? My guess is not much longer pass Sep.

Economically and epidemiologically it makes no sense to keep Argentina closed. The virus is well established in GBA. The only reason things will probably not change is for political reasons. Traveling is for chetos. So are jogging and exercising. All these activities contribute little to the increase in cases with the right protocol BUT give the "wrong" optics.

Yes, you are right. BUT how long do you think the unions will allow AR to pay 50%? My guess is not much longer pass Sep.

Economically and epidemiologically it makes no sense to keep Argentina closed. The virus is well established in GBA. The only reason things will probably not change is for political reasons. Traveling is for chetos. So are jogging and exercising. All these activities contribute little to the increase in cases with the right protocol BUT give the "wrong" optics.
I think this one is a wink wink nudge nudge kind of deal with the government. Let the unions have open season on private companies where they resist even 25% salary reduction, while giving the state owned/ subsidised companies a far bigger break. Many AR employees I know were outraged that despite the salary reduction their unions continued to deduct contributions from their salaries without any discount.
Fortunately (?!) since tourism and aviation are screwed for the foreseeable future and we are talking about a lot of jobs, I do think this sector will continue to see greater levels of flexibility, my own business interests in this sector included since politically the government cannot afford mass layoffs or too many permanent shut downs of big employers since it will be left with only blame.
As always the most vulnerable are those who can disappear silently - and that is still a huge number of businesses.

Even in the best of times, Argentina as a tourist destination for Europeans and North Americans is a big ask considering the distance that one needs to travel to get there. Covid will make it even more difficult as most experts believe that long haul travel is going to be hammered for years to come. Therefore, opening up the borders in Sep would not automatically mean a glut of tourists would arrive on its doorstep. It would be more like a trickle.

I just want to get back there asap for personal reasons. I would not have any problem taking a test/doing 14 days of quarantine etc.

If she has residency here then she can use the AR or Eastern flights from MIA or the AR flights from JFK. Perhaps the application process could be taken care of at her nearest consulate given the circumstances?

If she starts the process in the US we have been advised that she will not be able to travel to AR until it is finalized. I only renewed my existing visa and it's been 8 months and counting. So we do t want to start the process in the states. I'd rather her get her on a tourist visa and apply in the country.

She's also a native Spanish speaker and is very familiar with argentina so it's not like she's some rando trying to go see iguazu falls and tango dancing in BA.

Even in the best of times, Argentina as a tourist destination for Europeans and North Americans is a big ask considering the distance that one needs to travel to get there. Covid will make it even more difficult as most experts believe that long haul travel is going to be hammered for years to come. Therefore, opening up the borders in Sep would not automatically mean a glut of tourists would arrive on its doorstep. It would be more like a trickle.

I just want to get back there asap for personal reasons. I would not have any problem taking a test/doing 14 days of quarantine etc.
Not only this but traveling to AR from the US is rediculously expensive when compared to other destinations. You have to really want to come here. There are many other cheaper and closer choices. Tourism will be challenged here for a long time.

Not only this but traveling to AR from the US is rediculously expensive when compared to other destinations. You have to really want to come here. There are many other cheaper and closer choices. Tourism will be challenged here for a long time.
Absolutely, jblaze. It has always been a pretty expensive flight from Europe too. I think the only ones, for the most part, who will be willing to visit in the short to medium term will be those with a vested interest in the place (personal or business).

Absolutely, jblaze. It has always been a pretty expensive flight from Europe too. I think the only ones, for the most part, who will be willing to visit in the short to medium term will be those with a vested interest in the place (personal or business).

When I talk to my friends back home pre covid everyone was gungho to come visit and hanging out until they hit up google flights and saw the ticket prices... American's don't have a lot of vacation time either so the cheaper 40 hour - 3 stop combo flight across South America isn't a super great option for getting away.

I was asked many time why is was so expensive, "it's complicated".

On Aerolineas Argentina they are selling flights to Miami in September.

Back