Argentina re-opening international flights in August!

Coronavirus: The United States recommended to its citizens not to travel to Argentina because they could be trapped in their homes without being able to leave the country.

The actual alert says no such thing (as can be expected from dis-infobae) and it's relatively unchanged since the start of the lockdown. There are no restrictions on US citizens leaving and the embassy gives plenty of options for doing this. What actually happened is that the US State Dept simply went back to issuing country-specific alerts in place of its global do-not-travel advisory from the past few months.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/traveladvisories/traveladvisories.html/

Just read in La Nacion that the Arg. Powers That Be plan to get together on the 12th. to decide about flights. So, nothing is firm yet, and airlines are left to their own devices. Some are suspending flights, others - like Emirates - are fed up and canceling service to Buenos Aires altogether

Was just trying to make contact with Aerolíneas Argentina, only way to do this at the moment is annoyingly through WhatsApp. Was told after waiting for a while for a response that the 'special' flights to Madrid on the 19th (and presumably the 26th as well) are only available to residents and people born in the country. So not EU citizens and family members, does this correspond to what others have heard? They won't board people who's destination is outside of Spain?

Are there any flights scheduled at the moment that are allowing people in line with the current entry rules into the EU?

Was just trying to make contact with Aerolíneas Argentina, only way to do this at the moment is annoyingly through WhatsApp. Was told after waiting for a while for a response that the 'special' flights to Madrid on the 19th (and presumably the 26th as well) are only available to residents and people born in the country. So not EU citizens and family members, does this correspond to what others have heard? They won't board people who's destination is outside of Spain?

Are there any flights scheduled at the moment that are allowing people in line with the current entry rules into the EU?
It’s not the airline rule, it’s the country rule. This is also to do with EU entry rules banning most heavily COVID affected nationalities. Last time I checked US and Argentine citizens for example are generally not allowed to visit Schengen countries but they can go to Kosovo and Albania if they can actually get there... ;)

Regardless can however enter the Schengen Zone if you are a resident with corresponding visa or a spouse of an EU national and bring your marriage certificate. You either need to be accompanied by them or going to meet them there. UK citizens should still ok during transition period until the end of the year.
If you are connecting on to a Non-Schengen country you need to satisfy both their requirements and the transit requirements of the transit point country.

Check the information on the embassy websites of the countries you are traveling to and through or google search for IATA TIMATIC and fill in the questions to get detailed travel rules relevant to your individual case.

EDIT: Here is the link.

https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/passport-visa-health-travel-document-requirements.htm

It’s not the airline rule, it’s the country rule. This is also to do with EU entry rules banning most heavily COVID affected nationalities. Last time I checked US and Argentine citizens for example are generally not allowed to visit Schengen countries but they can go to Kosovo and Albania if they can actually get there... ;)

Regardless can however enter the Schengen Zone if you are a resident with corresponding visa or a spouse of an EU national and bring your marriage certificate. You either need to be accompanied by them or going to meet them there. UK citizens should still ok during transition period until the end of the year.
If you are connecting on to a Non-Schengen country you need to satisfy both their requirements and the transit requirements of the transit point country.

Check the information on the embassy websites of the countries you are traveling to and through or google search for IATA TIMATIC and fill in the questions to get detailed travel rules relevant to your individual case.

This was my understanding, however the response from the airline seemed to suggest the flight is exclusively for those with Spanish residency or born in Spain. So not even other EU nationals/residence or those in transit.

It goes against the information Here and from what you've suggested isn't what the entry policy is at the moment.

The actual alert says no such thing (as can be expected from dis-infobae) and it's relatively unchanged since the start of the lockdown. There are no restrictions on US citizens leaving and the embassy gives plenty of options for doing this. What actually happened is that the US State Dept simply went back to issuing country-specific alerts in place of its global do-not-travel advisory from the past few months.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/traveladvisories/traveladvisories.html/

This is not quite accurate as concerns Argentina: the country-specific advisory is the strictest level: Level 4 - Do Not Travel. Other countries with such a distinction include Afghanistan, North Korea, Russia and the like (but also: Mexico, Brazil, Peru etc).

The US also issued a travel advisory for New Zealand... really, I don't think any country wants to see travelers from the US, these travel advisories are just some kind of retaliation for imagined offences.

How much politics influences this list is certainly an open question, moreover these days when not one area of the US government seems to be free of over politicization on a scale never seen before.

(Trump just reintroduced tariffs on Canadian aluminum, on national security grounds. This is mind boggling, and can be understood only - if at all - in the context of politics. My personal take is that he is upset over Canada continuing to stop Americans from entering the country, but can’t complain about that aloud because that would cast a bright spotlight on the contrast between the countries’ respective management of the crisis - and the contrast in results).

The Fear, of course, is that this portends an entry ban on travel to the US from Argentina.

This was my understanding, however the response from the airline seemed to suggest the flight is exclusively for those with Spanish residency or born in Spain. So not even other EU nationals/residence or those in transit.

It goes against the information Here and from what you've suggested isn't what the entry policy is at the moment.
This is a big deal if true... My understanding was as long as you had EU residency/citizenship then you are fine.. Why would Aerolineas try enforce a seperate set of rules than the entry country (in this case Spain). I have UK citizenship - I know its not part of Shengen but I'm pretty sure UK citizens are allowed into Spain now?

This is a big deal if true... My understanding was as long as you had EU residency/citizenship then you are fine.. Why would Aerolineas try enforce a seperate set of rules than the entry country (in this case Spain). I have UK citizenship - I know its not part of Shengen but I'm pretty sure UK citizens are allowed into Spain now?
The guidance from the UK about safe destinations and the response from other nations to the varying UK positions change every ten minutes or so. (I exaggerate - but not a lot) I completely understand an airline - any airline - not wanting responsibility for third-country passengers especially when that third country is the UK

Back