Argentina Residency And My Frustration With The "system"

If it makes you feel better it seems like everyone gets someone bad and 10 nice people at migraciones but that one person seems to derail things. I had my case held up because they added up all the times I had left the country over the previous 3 years and decided that it amounted to a total of 368 days total...thereby "violating" the rule that says a applicant cannot leave to their home country for more than 1 year out of the previous 3 or else you need antecedentes penates from the home country. I told them that was ridiculous way of reading the law but they didn't care. Even my lawyer couldn't believe it and tried in vain to argue with them about it. Finally, they tried denying me the right to renew by precaria...after begging/yelling at multiple people they gave me a one week extension to go get my report...as in fly to USA get a rushed check and come back, translate and legalize it and present it.

After all was said and done it took over 1 year to get my residency. All of this even though I am married to an Argentine and have no other legal impediments.

I had a similar experience.
ie: Once I proved I was divorced, I then had to prove I had been married.
So much waste and stupidity.
It made me have serious doubts about Argentinas viability.

UPDATE: Made the return trip to Immigration this morning and got my temporary paperwork, but I'm an Argentine resident. From what I understand, I should get my permanent ID card within 90-days.

It's a good Thanksgiving!

I have a quick question for you since you presented paperwork recently... Did you show FBI criminal/identity history AND local/state criminal check or just FBI? I ask because I have my appt for Dec 23. Technically I can still get the state and local level stuff if needed but at the moment I just have the FBI stuff in order. It's out to get apostilled. When I went to the new migrations office in Pilar, the (very) young new workers really were pretty vague about the fingerprints. They simply said, you need a "national" criminal history check...as if we could compare it apples to apples with their RNR national reincidencias request. I'm afraid to keep asking them because I don't want to "meter la pata" and if they'll take just the FBI letter (apostilled and translated of course).

If it makes you feel better it seems like everyone gets someone bad and 10 nice people at migraciones but that one person seems to derail things. I had my case held up because they added up all the times I had left the country over the previous 3 years and decided that it amounted to a total of 368 days total...thereby "violating" the rule that says a applicant cannot leave to their home country for more than 1 year out of the previous 3 or else you need antecedentes penates from the home country. I told them that was ridiculous way of reading the law but they didn't care. Even my lawyer couldn't believe it and tried in vain to argue with them about it. Finally, they tried denying me the right to renew by precaria...after begging/yelling at multiple people they gave me a one week extension to go get my report...as in fly to USA get a rushed check and come back, translate and legalize it and present it.

After all was said and done it took over 1 year to get my residency. All of this even though I am married to an Argentine and have no other legal impediments.

Hi. I'll ask you the same question I asked "lost in Buenos aires" in the comment above. Did you show FBI criminal/identity history AND local/state criminal check or just FBI? I ask because I have my appt for Dec 23. Technically I can still get the state and local level stuff if needed but at the moment I just have the FBI stuff in order. It's out to get apostilled. When I went to the new migrations office in Pilar, the (very) young new workers really were pretty vague about the fingerprints. They simply said, you need a "national" criminal history check...as if we could compare it apples to apples with their RNR national reincidencias request. I'm afraid to keep asking them because I don't want to "meter la pata" and if they'll take just the FBI letter (apostilled and translated of course).

Lost in BA,
I thought you moved back to the US in early 2013. You used to post often from 2010 when you joined the forum up until the end of Dec 12 and then not long afterwards you stopped posting except to say, I THINK, that you were returning to the US.

Your forum posting history doesn't show me any of your prior posts. But I remember answering a thread you initiated in 2012. Therefore, that old thread shows in my posting history. When I click on that old thread now from my history and then onto your screen name, it shows you as having joined this forum in 2010 rather than in 2012 which is now being shown as the date on which you joined.

-------------------

Which document did Arg. Immigration not accept from you? Was something too old to be acceptable -eg the dated FBI one?. When we began applying from Canada for Arg.temp residency, we found one time limit imposed between our application date and actual date of arriving in BA very tight. (Back then, one could apply from outside Arg but had we had to show up in BA within 6 months as I recall.)

Since you began collecting your paperwork in 2015, I wonder if some document you had wasn't accepted because it became too old by Nov/16.

Obtaining my permanent residency was relatively straightforward when I applied in London so once here I thought obtaining my DNI would be a piece of cake. It turned out to be anything but easy and took well over a year and the intervention of someone with a bit of clout. I recall visiting one office in BA which had a massive room with banks of computer desks which were mostly lying empty. No idea if it's true but my wife said it was where government supporters were given well paid jobs and more or less all they had to do to get paid was turn up clock in and leave. It was the much smaller group of core staff who did the real work. Probably explains why the process can be slow.

I have a quick question for you since you presented paperwork recently... Did you show FBI criminal/identity history AND local/state criminal check or just FBI? I ask because I have my appt for Dec 23. Technically I can still get the state and local level stuff if needed but at the moment I just have the FBI stuff in order. It's out to get apostilled. When I went to the new migrations office in Pilar, the (very) young new workers really were pretty vague about the fingerprints. They simply said, you need a "national" criminal history check...as if we could compare it apples to apples with their RNR national reincidencias request. I'm afraid to keep asking them because I don't want to "meter la pata" and if they'll take just the FBI letter (apostilled and translated of course).

Just the FBI criminal history. The local/state data was included in it (although there was just a local charge -- the bad check). For my fingerprints, I went to our local (we live in Begrano) police station and they got it done for me in 10 minutes.

Lost in BA,
I thought you moved back to the US in early 2013. You used to post often from 2010 when you joined the forum up until the end of Dec 12 and then not long afterwards you stopped posting except to say, I THINK, that you were returning to the US.

Your forum posting history doesn't show me any of your prior posts. But I remember answering a thread you initiated in 2012. Therefore, that old thread shows in my posting history. When I click on that old thread now from my history and then onto your screen name, it shows you as having joined this forum in 2010 rather than in 2012 which is now being shown as the date on which you joined.

-------------------

Which document did Arg. Immigration not accept from you? Was something too old to be acceptable -eg the dated FBI one?. When we began applying from Canada for Arg.temp residency, we found one time limit imposed between our application date and actual date of arriving in BA very tight. (Back then, one could apply from outside Arg but had we had to show up in BA within 6 months as I recall.)

Since you began collecting your paperwork in 2015, I wonder if some document you had wasn't accepted because it became too old by Nov/16.

Nope. Didn't return to the states, well, except for a week visit in April 2015.

Argentina Immigration didn't reject any documents. The clerk just said I needed to get "proof" that the bad check charge had been handled and all was clear. Mission accomplished and as I posted elsewhere in this thread, got my temporary with no fuss, no hassle a week later (on Thanksgiving as a matter-of-fact).

Didn't start "collecting" the paperwork in 2015. I started the process (reading, talking to folks, research, etc) Never had any problem with paperwork being "too old" whatever that means.

Never had any problem with paperwork being "too old" whatever that means.

It means, for example, that a criminal background check ceases to be valid if you've travelled to that country since the check was run. Makes some sense, doesn't it?

Argentina Immigration didn't reject any documents. The clerk just said I needed to get "proof" that the bad check charge had been handled and all was clear. Mission accomplished and as I posted elsewhere in this thread, got my temporary with no fuss, no hassle a week later (on Thanksgiving as a matter-of-fact).

So a clerk's bad call, resulting in all of a week's delay, leads to a HuffPo PuffPiece - with a hysterical clickbait title to boot?

I'm assuming you never lived in NY, or your first visit to a DMV would have you writing a book.

Hi. I'll ask you the same question I asked "lost in Buenos aires" in the comment above. Did you show FBI criminal/identity history AND local/state criminal check or just FBI? I ask because I have my appt for Dec 23. Technically I can still get the state and local level stuff if needed but at the moment I just have the FBI stuff in order. It's out to get apostilled. When I went to the new migrations office in Pilar, the (very) young new workers really were pretty vague about the fingerprints. They simply said, you need a "national" criminal history check...as if we could compare it apples to apples with their RNR national reincidencias request. I'm afraid to keep asking them because I don't want to "meter la pata" and if they'll take just the FBI letter (apostilled and translated of course).

I was required to get an FBI check because they consider it as a kind of "federal police'. I also submitted a police report form here in Argentina that I got at the local station in Belgrano before I was told I had to get one from my country of origin for the reasons stated before. When I got the FBI check I had to hurry to get it legalized and translated by an officially licensed translator and then submit it all within 90 days of the issuance of the FBI report. Also, if you go back to your country of origin after having been issued the report it becomes null and void in the eyes of migraciones...so get it, quickly get it legalized and translated and then submit it before you head back out. With that you should be good to go

Back