Argentina Residency And My Frustration With The "system"

It means, for example, that a criminal background check ceases to be valid if you've travelled to that country since the check was run. Makes some sense, doesn't it?

So a clerk's bad call, resulting in all of a week's delay, leads to a HuffPo PuffPiece - with a hysterical clickbait title to boot?

I'm assuming you never lived in NY, or your first visit to a DMV would have you writing a book.

Well, you remember what your daddy told you about "assuming." Yep. Lived in New York and yes, have written about the DMV. As a freelance writer (about 35% of my work is ghost writing for others) I'm always looking out for article ideas -- at least when the idiot bankers here in BA aren't striking.

Who knows what may turn up next.

I was required to get an FBI check because they consider it as a kind of "federal police'. I also submitted a police report form here in Argentina that I got at the local station in Belgrano before I was told I had to get one from my country of origin for the reasons stated before. When I got the FBI check I had to hurry to get it legalized and translated by an officially licensed translator and then submit it all within 90 days of the issuance of the FBI report. Also, if you go back to your country of origin after having been issued the report it becomes null and void in the eyes of migraciones...so get it, quickly get it legalized and translated and then submit it before you head back out. With that you should be good to go

Good answer.

If it makes you feel better it seems like everyone gets someone bad and 10 nice people at migraciones but that one person seems to derail things. I had my case held up because they added up all the times I had left the country over the previous 3 years and decided that it amounted to a total of 368 days total...thereby "violating" the rule that says a applicant cannot leave to their home country for more than 1 year out of the previous 3 or else you need antecedentes penates from the home country. I told them that was ridiculous way of reading the law but they didn't care. Even my lawyer couldn't believe it and tried in vain to argue with them about it. Finally, they tried denying me the right to renew by precaria...after begging/yelling at multiple people they gave me a one week extension to go get my report...as in fly to USA get a rushed check and come back, translate and legalize it and present it.

After all was said and done it took over 1 year to get my residency. All of this even though I am married to an Argentine and have no other legal impediments.
Did you have to provide a birth certificate as well? With the calculation they used to determine your need for a police certificate from USA was that because you were travelling back to USA? What if you were travelling the world instead of returning to USA?

Yep. Lived in New York and yes, have written about the DMV. As a freelance writer (about 35% of my work is ghost writing for others) I'm always looking out for article ideas -- at least when the idiot bankers here in BA aren't striking.

Got it. "Have computer; will write".

I seriously considered and almost embarked on churning out copy for a living. I thank heavens I was spared that fate.

Did you have to provide a birth certificate as well? With the calculation they used to determine your need for a police certificate from USA was that because you were travelling back to USA? What if you were travelling the world instead of returning to USA?

A birth certificate is not required for temporary residency. Place and date of birth are on the passport and that's all they need.

Great thanks to you both for responding! I have the FBI prints out (done in Palermo) to get apostilled and am already working on the local translation. I read on the (photo image of) the FBI prints that it "precludes" local and state level. Sooo... I really hope they read into that as "doesn't prevent from including" instead of "doesn't include"... that's what scared me about the local and state level being requested separately. I'll just uh,..make sure the translation says it the best way possible haha.

The FBI CC is not needed if you were here over 2 years.

Citizenship seems to be simpler.

Regards

Back