Argentina Sacrifices Economy to Ward Off Virus

i do think argentina has been more proactive and has taken smart measures, but let's be real, the choice was easy for AF. there was not a lot of economy to sacrifice to begin with.

You nuts??

Argentina will end up being out of the most hard-hit countries on earth. Absent some radical government accommodations/supports, or just a wave of landlord rent waivers (maybe supported by the government), we're going to lose tens of thousands of businesses if, like in the US, this goes til May 1.
No matter what jokes you might make about the economy in Argentina, know that it's curtains for many places.

You nuts??

Argentina will end up being out of the most hard-hit countries on earth. Absent some radical government accommodations/supports, or just a wave of landlord rent waivers (maybe supported by the government), we're going to lose tens of thousands of businesses if, like in the US, this goes til May 1.
No matter what jokes you might make about the economy in Argentina, know that it's curtains for many places.

Honestly don't think Argentina is going to suffer much more than anywhere else.
Yeah many Argentines like to complain but they are more adaptable and resilient than most 'first world' nationalities.

Last edited:
Opposition in Congress presses CFK for Senate approval of a project to reduce salaries of ALL Public servants earning more than $70,000 pesos.!!! Up to 20 % in higher income brackets..!

Good idea will it pass??

This coronavirus will prove to be a great equalizer - we are all in the same boat now.
In the same boat, but not permanently so. Actually temporarily.

Right now the virus has disrupted all societies.

BUT - Each individual country / society will recover at different rates due to their abilities and systems / technology in place.

Kind of like two people who exercise to exhaustion. One is the "AVERAGE JANE or JOE" and the other is "THE WORLD CLASS ATHLETE." The athlete is in great physical shape and will recover quicker because they are very fit. The average person takes longer to recover and in some cases dies of a heart attack.

I think we need to focus on the condition of each country BEFORE the virus took center stage. If we do that, we have a good indication which is more aligned with each person who exercised to exhaustion.

No disrespect to Argentina or it's people, but the fact is, they are not going to be competitive with a first world juggernaut. Furthermore, Argentina was on the brink before all this happened while a lot of first world countries were cruising along enjoying great economic conditions.

Add to that, first world countries are thrownig TRILLIONS of DOLLARS at their economic revivals already. Argentina is trying to renegotiated an amount of debt that is crippling them, an amout that is equivalent to a rounding error in a larger economy.

Argentina is the average person who exercised to exhaustion and they are at risk of dying of a heart attack in the aftermath of the virus cleanup stage.

And I hope I am completely wrong because I am very fond of Argentina and it's people.

IMO, Argentina's curse is that it is a rich country.
Plundered relentlessly by everybody as in a Greek Mythology's Tale.
We can certainly stand a chance if, in the immortal words of Luis Barrionuevo, «we stop stealing at least for two years».

In my lifetime, I'seen not a single State Policy plan effectively last that much. If this nation learned what a good medium term (5 years at least) plan means and stick to it without smearing it with shit within the first 6 months, we would be on our way to a decent future.

«You may say I'm a dreamer...» JOL.

Iz

Back