Argentina To "get Tough" On Drug Trafficking

ugh ...since it's working so well in the states.

at least the individual states are starting to wisen up a bit and pass their own more relaxed laws since nothing is going to happen at the federal level.

Correction...."Argentinian high court asked the Ks to get tough on drug trafficking" - What a sad joke. :cool:

As I've been saying for years now... the National Government IS part of the NaKos (with a K). It's like asking the wolf to look after the sheep.
Anibal Fernandez is one of the many under Cristina who have been running the distribution of Efedria & Coke for years, it's old news.

The only thing new is that the business is growing and we're now seeing some infighting for the profit$. Hence the court decision.

OK notebook, just to clarify: your point is that Argentina SHOULD pursue a war on drugs and that would begin by prosecuting the K's? i.e., you think following the War on Drugs illustrated in the chart shown above is the right way to proceed?

It depends, when it comes to weed legalizing is clearly the best option. considering hard drugs this is not so clear. The fact that cocaine or base can now move freely from bolivia into argentina, making argentina one of the most important drug smuggling countries for europe, is definately something they should work at.

Also, does anyone know what the deal is with government provided information/statistics? Do they give it? Is it reliable (i guess i know the answer to that)?

OK notebook, just to clarify: your point is that Argentina SHOULD pursue a war on drugs and that would begin by prosecuting the K's? i.e., you think following the War on Drugs illustrated in the chart shown above is the right way to proceed?

Doesn't the chart you posted include people incarcerated for marijuana use and/or dealing?

I think with Argentina the problem is cocaine, not marijuana.

I personally don't care if people want to use drugs out of their own free will (the same way I don't care if someone wants to commit suicide. You want to do it, fine. Don't expect me to give a sh*t). I am not sure though whether the situation in the north is that of people using drugs on their own or whether its about smuggling and abuse that comes with gang operated territories.

If the situation is that there is abuse and innocent people, including children, are forced, one way or another, into the business of either dealing or using drugs (any drugs, being forced into something should never be tolerated) then every possible legal action needs to be taken. And if that means incarcerating 2.5 million @$$holes, then so be it.

In principle, I agree with legalization of marijuana, but I also fear it will cause some problems. I'd prefer it be done in the privacy of your own home, and am especially concerned with people driving stoned. Alcoholemia is relatively easy to assess, but impaired driving from marijuana over-consumption could be far more difficult. In a country where traffic accidents and fatalities are already far too high, this is a serious concern.

In principle, I agree with legalization of marijuana, but I also fear it will cause some problems. I'd prefer it be done in the privacy of your own home, and am especially concerned with people driving stoned. Alcoholemia is relatively easy to assess, but impaired driving from marijuana over-consumption could be far more difficult. In a country where traffic accidents and fatalities are already far too high, this is a serious concern.

The consumption of marijuna is completely unrelated to the legalization. In the US its illegal but people use it and it's very easy to get.
For example drug abuse and use in the Netherlands is very low compared to other countries, even though it is almost legal.
2 well-known videos on Fox news vs Holland when it comes to drugs:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTPsFIsxM3w
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpU0NxPhA78

Prohibition of marijuana has been an absurd mistake in the XXth century.

Oddly enough, drugs from the Western countries (tobacco = how many deaths per year?, alcohol = ditto + how many families broken up, etc?) have been allowed while the ones from the "poor" countries were forbidden (and here obviously, many of them are really very dangerous, while marijuana is likely the less dangerous one of all, including the legal ones).

That's stupid too because if you tell a teenager that marijuana is very dangerous, will lead you to death/insanity, then the kid when smoking pot with his friends will wonder "mhhh... my parents lied to me about joints, so they must have lied about coke!"... etc.

I don't know the actual figures, but about 10 years ago the illegal drug market was around 1.5/2.5 trillion $?
How can you fight that?
In the streets? Quite difficult unless you want a police State with less freedom, etc.

Truth is there's no real political will/guts worldwide to fight this.

A few things to do:
- Strike the countries having offshore financial systems... Problem is, from Romney to Obama, from Sarkozy to Hollande, etc. = most of the political parties use dirty money to finance their campaigns and they certainly don't want to lose that... Passively, they are at least helping the drug market worldwide.
- Create some kind of electronic currency in all the countries (no more coins/bills) = problem almost solved with dirty money, tax delinquents, etc.
- Since the latter is easy to put in place, at least take some "surprise" decisions = tomorrow, the 500 euros bills can not be used anymore and have to be exchanged at the Central Bank, proving the origin of the funds (500 euros bills are the ones the mafias prefer.... Really big impact on them!).

So, yes, marijuana should be made legal (far less dangerous than tobacco & alcohol). For people driving, it's already possible to test them to see if they smoked.

For the other drugs = more Education, more rehabilitation and eventually much heavier penalties.

Back