Argentina vs Colombia?

Steve is fine, I know why is this phenomenon. I'm colombian and I married a foreign myself ;-) is just sometimes annoying that I heard many times "hey dude, go to Colombia, if you want to have a nice girl". The fact is that Colombian girls are not satisfied with Colombian guys. Is a chauvinistic country and a lot of competition between the girls. few nice guys and lot of beautiful girls competing for the same ugly fat which for sure is going to fool all of them. Colombian guys are sweet, but they love to talk a lot and even if they are engaged with a girl they are cheating, I've seen it in my family and my friends at different levels. For a friendships the guys are amazing, lovely and sweet, but when is about respecting a woman, they don't know anything about love and respect. Is not simple the dynamic. Girls have to behave in certain way when guys are doing what they want...and while the society see them like machos, girls are being judge by theire behavior, so that's why girls prefer to have fun with a foreign that is open minded!

Comparing Bogota and Buenos Aires is impossible. I am a journalist and have now spent 18 months in South America. Columbia is full-on Latin America, culturally and otherwise. Facinating, challanging and colourful, but not that easy to assimilate if you are coming from Europe. Buenos Aires, on the other hand, is somewhat European. Cerainly more European than Latin American.

As for crime. I have been robbed twice in two months here in BsAs. One at knife point on the street and once my apartment was broked into to. Not nice, but I still maintain that locals over state the dangers of living in this city. Truly violent crime remains rare here. In Bogota, the violence is palpable. Columbia is very poor and in poor countries, life and everyting else is cheap.

Compared to Columbia, Argentina is rich.

Good luck either way.

mochilera said:
Interesting perception. How can you detect if someone is a thief in Argentina?? because good people is white and bad people look indian?? So you mean that in countries like in Colombia you can't identify a thief because from your small perception we probably look more indian?? Your comment is completely racist and classicist but I'm not surprised as this is the classic South American snob mentality. You have to be smart in any place and actually more in Argentina when people try to get more from you for being a tourist!

You said it yourself, you used racist and classicist terms....... don't put your words in my mouth......

In Colombia they will rip you off at day light, in front of anybody anywhere.... and you know it, of course not all of Colombia, I lived in Colombia 5 years....

I just wish that it didn't rain as much in Bogota, then I think I would find it more appealing to live there than Buenos Aires.

This is the exact same question that I'm contemplating. I'm in my late 20s and with the horrible economy I've decided to spend 8 months to a year abroad. I was originally going to travel around a lot, but I decided I might prefer to stay in a couple places for an extended period. I'm traveling alone and i'd definitely like to date locals.

Mochilera, I'd be interested to know the differences between Colombian and Argentinian women. I've heard great things about Colombian women, but I know next to nothing about the women of BA. Can you give me a quick rundown on the differences in dating in the two countries?

js19 said:
...I know next to nothing about the women of BA. ...

Check out the threads "Argentine Women" and "Are all Argentine women..." in this forum. There's a lot of information.

If you want to date nice local women in South America you might also want to seriously consider Peru or Paraguay.

When considering buying property, I was advised that the best investment at the moment is Columbia. I chose Buenos Aires because of the Tango and because I love the place.
So if it really is not as scary as I have been led to belive then why not. But if you are making a long term commitment, it may be best to spend some time in each place and make up your own mind.
There are some serious axes being ground on this site.

Buenos Aires is the largest city I have ever lived in. As I would in any large city I am careful when I walk on the street or stand in a crowded subway. Two times since arriving here 9 months ago I have turned to find someone's hand in my bag. I keep my bag secure with expensive items locked where they would not be easy to reach. If I had not caught him he would have ended up with nothing more than gum. Because I watch, I caught him. I walk the streets at reasonable hours, take taxis (I am female) when going out after midnight, mostly because the subte is closed, but also for safety. I have never been robbed in my home, we have a portero, or on the street. We have a friend who was robbed at gunpoint. He was exiting an ATM machine at 2am alone on a street downtown. I wouldn't do that in San Diego. It is awful to have to say, but he asked for that, and he knows it.

I don't find the city unsafe and I don't live in the standard "tourist" area where there is a police officer on every corner (Palermo, Recoletta...). I feel pretty safe here. I am never scared. I am just careful. I have not been to Columbia yet.

Peace

I think that, in general, Colombian people are a lot warmer than Argentines.

Just keep your wits about you and you'll be fine in Colombia. Sure from reading messages here, many people don't feel safe in BA.

I am a gringo that passes for a fun / Americano Hippie kind of guy. I have found Cali to be more safe and more dangerous than I imagined.

I have gotten myself into some situations most would like to avoid at all costs. I was looking for adventure, fun, and a little love. I found buckets full of all that plus.

You have to learn the place you are in, in Colombia. Then, you have to NOT give crime an opportunity. You have to be mindful. IF YOU WANT TO DECREASE RISKS.

It is possible to stay in the right places and do the right things and be 100% safe. Then, again ... a wrong turn and a lapse in judgment and you can find consequences.

I do not know who BA compares. I am able to provide current info on Colombia, however

Back