Argentina vs Colombia?

MrBart

Registered
Hi Everybody,

I'm an Irish guy and I'm planning on moving to South America in April.

I'm either going to move to Medellin in Colombia or Buenos Aires. I'm just wondering for those of you who have travelled/lived in both countries, which country did you feel safer in?

I realise that Colombia has a bad reputation re FARC. But from what I've heard, people are safe in the big cities.

Petty crime may be an issue at times in Colombia, but from reading a lot of posts here, numerous people have been held at knife and or gun point in Argentina.

I'd be interested in your feedback on this matter.

Suerte.

Thanks for the reply Steveinbsas.

I'm leaning towards going to Colombia, but I'm slightly apprehensive regarding my safety there, even though I've heard that it's relatively safe in the cities.

Any advice from people who have been in both places would be appreciated.

From reading previous posts, it's apparent that not everybody feels safe in BA.

Re the geography, yes Colombia may be more appealing but I'm not sure how confident I'd feel leaving the major cities and going into rural areas!

This all depends also in the type of crime, and perception as well.

If you look at homicides; Bogota has had a steady decline in murder rates for over a decade. In 2007, the murder rate was 20 murders per 100,000 inhabitants.

In Buenos Aires (province), for 2007, the murder rate was 7.5 (less than half of Bogota). In Capital Federal, it is historically lower (4 - 6) than the province.

To put 2007 in perspective; New York City: 6.6, Washington DC: 30.8, Madrid: 1.18, and Dublin: 3.02.

The Buenos Aires rate is significant, but it is not as high as other big LatAm cities such Mexico City, Bogota, Sao Paulo, Rio.

But then again, if we're talking petty crime, etc. The numbers and perception will be different. I lived in Madrid for 1 year and on four separate occasions someone tried to pickpocket me. I've been here in BA for over 2 years and just 1 incident. Thus I "feel" safer here, although the statistics show otherwise. Taxis with "magic meters" on the other hand, were not as bad in Madrid as they are here. :)

Ultimately it comes down to whether you personally feel safe. I'd go to both places and get a feel for it, statistics aren't the best measure of these things.

bro, statistics show that Colombia has 7 times higher crime overall compared to Argentina..........

In Argentina you will be able to detect who is who ahead of time... when I say Argentina I mean Buenos Aires, the rest of Argentina (except Buenos Aires) is as safe as your country, maybe safer.......

Just act as smart ass tourist, show them your dumb and they will rip you off......

later!

steveinbsas said:
If you are single and interested in having a relationship with a sweet and pretty woman, your odds may be better in Columbia than Argentina.

You may also find the geography more appealing.

I think you are labeling with this answer. I'm colombian and my country is much more than girls, drugs and guerrilla as the foreigns think.

Regarding your question, I'm colombian living in Argentina, I traveled quiet a lot and I can understand the reputation we have, but believe me there is not a safe place in specially in South America. I don't think Bogota is mroe dangerous than Rio de Janeiro or Mexico DF.

Actually to choose between Colombia and Argentina it depends of the type of vacation that you want. I love Buenos Aires, is beautiful, elegant, interesting, classic, and Argentina has many special places to go, but Colombia is exotic, is caribbean, is beautiful people, gentle and educated. Is not what you see in the news for gods sake. We are not surrounded by guerrila or thiefs every corner (Colombia is not Bolivia, is not Ecuador and is not even like Venezuela with all the respect for my bros). You have to take some cautions specially in Bogota, but anyone will give you safety recommendations and those are basics for every traveler (keep your personal objects, try to not wonder alone at later hours at the down town, try to order taxis by phone when living a place at night)

You can travel in Colombia, the conflict is located mainly in the jungle and it doesn't affects tourism right now (it was a time when it did, now is pretty safe). You wont regret. Argentina is also amazing and Buenos Aires can be very unsecure as well, but if you are looking for something completely different from your life in Europe, then Colombia is your destination.

If you decide to go and you need some tips about what to do there, I will be glad to help you with some info (non commercial info hehehehe)

expatalex said:
bro, statistics show that Colombia has 7 times higher crime overall compared to Argentina..........

In Argentina you will be able to detect who is who ahead of time... when I say Argentina I mean Buenos Aires, the rest of Argentina (except Buenos Aires) is as safe as your country, maybe safer.......

Just act as smart ass tourist, show them your dumb and they will rip you off......

later!

Interesting perception. How can you detect if someone is a thief in Argentina?? because good people is white and bad people look indian?? So you mean that in countries like in Colombia you can't identify a thief because from your small perception we probably look more indian?? Your comment is completely racist and classicist but I'm not surprised as this is the classic South American snob mentality. You have to be smart in any place and actually more in Argentina when people try to get more from you for being a tourist!

Thanks for the posts.

Out of interest, are there many Colombian people living in Buenos Aires?

MrBart said:
Thanks for the posts.

Out of interest, are there many Colombian people living in Buenos Aires?

Yes they are many Colombian people living in Argentina, specially students. Public universities are not available to all because is difficult to get in (admission tests and you need high degrees) and private universities are very expensive, actually the country itself is more expensive than Argentina right now.

Back