'Argentina will sanction banks, companies backing Malvinas oil drills,' Timerman

scotttswan said:
well that'll be HSBC hounded out of the country.

Ha, the famous English bank that they demonstarted outside of.

Hong Kong and Shanghi Banking Corperation. The clue is in the name.

tangobob said:
Ha, the famous English bank that they demonstarted outside of.

Hong Kong and Shanghi Banking Corperation. The clue is in the name.
Sorry to disillusion you but the Hong Kong and Shanghai Banking Corporation was a British Company founded in Hong Kong when Hong Kong was part of the British Empire. (My mum was born in Shanghai and, for similar reasons, she's not Chinese.)

While we are at it, the East India Company wasn't Indian, The Hudson Bay Company wasn't Canadian and the Virginia Company wasn't - gasp - American! And guess who founded the Falkland Islands Company?

Aristotle was not Belgian. The central message of Buddhism is not "Every man for himself." And the London Underground is not a political movement. Those are all mistakes, Otto. I looked them up.

elhombresinnombre said:
Sorry to disillusion you but the Hong Kong and Shanghai Banking Corporation was a British Company founded in Hong Kong when Hong Kong was part of the British Empire. (My mum was born in Shanghai and, for similar reasons, she's not Chinese.)

While we are at it, the East India Company wasn't Indian, The Hudson Bay Company wasn't Canadian and the Virginia Company wasn't - gasp - American! And guess who founded the Falkland Islands Company?

Aristotle was not Belgian. The central message of Buddhism is not "Every man for himself." And the London Underground is not a political movement. Those are all mistakes, Otto. I looked them up.

I learned about HSBC's origins while teaching several English classes in two of their locations. My American accent didn't help them much because they had conference calls with London.

Citi is the American bank here.

HSBC is the British one.

Standard Bank is the South African one (after they bought Fleet Bank... which used to be the Bank of Boston building, before they bought it... you can see on a "Bank of Boston" plaque on the side of the Standard Bank building on Florida between Diagonal Norte & Mitre, on the Mitre side near Florida).

Galicia is Spanish as is Santander, but Banco Frances may actually be owned by Argentine interests.

The Banco Patagonia building on Av. de Mayo & ~Chacabuco has the Israeli embassy (because their other one was blown up 20 years ago tomorrow... and still no one arrested for that).

Itau is Brazilian, Banco Piano could be Italian... no sé. Hay un montón de bancos en la capi... viste????

ElQueso said:
Having been on the tech side of the oil drilling business, but somewhat involved in operations, I'd say the only thing I could see Argentina supplying might be food supplies and cooks, possibly the labor, and piping for drilling and supply via small workboats.

Typically drilling rigs are crewed by expat personnel in charge, and a local labor force, usually forced by a combination of local labor laws and the fact that sending expat crews around the world is expensive enough and prohibitive to send ALL labor that way.

The food service crews are usually supplied by local contract as well.

Argentina used to have a good fabrication plant making drilling pipe here, but I don't know if that's still around. But drilling pipe is usually supplied by vendors in the States or Europe or Asia and shipped ocean freight.

I guess, not knowing the ports available in the Falklands, she might cause big problems by not permitting the shipments to pass through Argentina and also not allowing freight forwarding companies to send supply boats to the islands.

I don't know if the labor and food service crews normally would have been contracted out of Argentina, considering that the Falklands residents are mostly farmers and fishermen - I don't know if they could get enough local work force in the Falklands to provide either.

I have to admit that I haven't been following very closely what the drilling companies are currently doing and what contracts were awarded to whom.
techint did supply pipes at the early stages of the drilling some years back. i think they were later on told not to do so again.

These potential actions have very predictable outcomes that will inevitably backfire on Argentina. However Timmerman [one of countries stupidest men] and the Queen don't seem to be capable of measuring consequences.
It's always the same "let's just decree something and see what happens later". No vision, no future.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C Expat Life 7
Gringoboy Expat Life 0
Back