Argentina's Economy

Dipoots said:
let's take a balanced approach. the glass is neither half empty or half full, it is half.

Good for you to be proud to be an Argentine. It is very important to be proud of your country. In a way, it defines your very existence and place in this work. It speaks of your integrity. You can hate the government but still love your country. On the other hand, if the US government gives you a US passport on condition that you give up your home country passport, would you take up the offer.

This country is blessed with many things. An educated populace, aplenty of commodity resources, and mild climate. But why hasn't become a first world country. Some say the corruption, some say this poor governance, too much polictiking, and all that... but I have read somewhere that says Culture; Culture of the people. Let me pose a bold and very politically incorrect proposition, of which I have not thought about it deep enough to have a position. Have you wondered what would the US be if the Spanish were the colonial masters instead of the British. Do you wonder why in Europe the Northern states countries generally seem to be in a better shape than the South Latin-origin countries. Also, it is better to have a democracy or a more authoritarian government... The style of government matters and for a emerging nation beset with many problems, a more authoritarian style may be suitable (until it reaches second to first world status). For example, China would not be where it is today if it embraced western style democracy. On the other hand, US would not be the leader in innovation if it did not have democracy...

How to turn ARG around? Yo no se. Before blasting off solution, has anybody thought of the root cause of Argentina's problems? I wish it would be as simple as having a change in government or specific policy.
That said, Colombia has shown that it is possible, starting with Uribe and now Santos...

megan said:
That's a good start, what else?

Dipoots, I agree with your "politically incorrect proposition". Culture has a huge role here. Seeing that this thread was not actually started to find a solution to the problem or to find out what the problem is, I would love it if you wouldn't mind starting a thread about specifically this topic. I'd love to take part in that discussion there.

If you don't like starting threads :D, I can start one and would ask if you would be willing to write out your ideas on the subject there.

ah yes, I got carried away. I should have stuck to the economics bit

Please go ahead and start a thread but I do not know enough to contribute much. I do not read as widely as I use to...

Back