Argentina's Falklands obsession thrives 40 years after war

I lived in Germany for quite some time (15+ years) in the American Occupation Zone (which didn't exist as a political entity anymore of course, but there were still still US troops stationed in major cities when I arrived there). I guess you're right, on the surface, at least, bygones were bygones, my similarly-aged colleagues were very much accepting of western values and attitudes and open to different cultures. Out in the country, particularly to the east of Munich, attitudes were different.

Even so, intolerance, ingratitude, and self-righteousness bubble up occasionally, the wheelchair-bound Mr. Schaeuble's attempted dumping of Greece in its financial crisis is a perfect example. Greece was absolutely plundered during the war, and its central bank reserves transferred to Berlin. It also didn't have a Marshall plan. Some concession to history would have been nice. Instead the IMF stabilized Greece, rather than the ECB, and learned lessons which were subsequently applied to Argentina, providing at least a tenuous link to this forum.

But I digress, sorry. Nothing to do with the Malvinas. I'll get my coat now.
The surprising part re the Falklands obsession is that it is a relatively small matter (no offense to those who lost a loved one.) Germany lost a huge area, plus millions of citizens.

Yes, the Marshall Plan was a huge help to Germany. All things considered, I still think Germany was
quite fast to let bygones be bygones. Maybe Japan would be a better example.
And yet, to this day, Germany is America's bitch. To this day, Japan is America's bitch. Both their governments obediently do whatever the US government tells them to, even when it is contrary to the interests of their own people. Both still host huge garrisons of US military.
Argentina is definitely not England's bitch.

Sorry, I don't get the Argentina and Germany comparison. Germany startet WW2 and committed the most atrocious genocide. Considering that it got off lightly. Why should it bear a grudge against the US?

And yet, to this day, Germany is America's bitch. To this day, Japan is America's bitch. Both their governments obediently do whatever the US government tells them to, even when it is contrary to the interests of their own people. Both still host huge garrisons of US military.
Argentina is definitely not England's bitch.
I'd rather be America's bitch than Russia's or China's bitch.

I'd rather be America's bitch than Russia's or China's bitch.
You are entitled to your opinion, but without addressing that directly, I'd just say it's best not to be anyone's bitch.

Argentina is facing a desperate struggle to reclaim its sovereignty right now. One of the most burningly urgent issues is that of the river and the Magdalena channel, along with the closely connected issue of the big agro corporations being able to export free of government checks and controls. Argentina is being cheated of tens of millions in tax revenue, at a time when she desperately needs all the income that can be mustered.

Of course, the larger issue of corruption runs through all of this. I will quote, again, the words spoken by Yrigoyen a hundred years ago, because they are more relevant than ever -

I do not fear those outside who wish to buy us, as much as those inside who wish to sell us.

The surprising part re the Falklands obsession is that it is a relatively small matter (no offense to those who lost a loved one.) Germany lost a huge area, plus millions of citizens.
Indeed. But they lost the war. The Malvinas were invaded when the English were defeated by second time in their attempt to invade Argentina violating the surrender pact.

You are entitled to your opinion, but without addressing that directly, I'd just say it's best not to be anyone's bitch.

Argentina is facing a desperate struggle to reclaim its sovereignty right now. One of the most burningly urgent issues is that of the river and the Magdalena channel, along with the closely connected issue of the big agro corporations being able to export free of government checks and controls. Argentina is being cheated of tens of millions in tax revenue, at a time when she desperately needs all the income that can be mustered.

Of course, the larger issue of corruption runs through all of this. I will quote, again, the words spoken by Yrigoyen a hundred years ago, because they are more relevant than ever -

I do not fear those outside who wish to buy us, as much as those inside who wish to sell us.
Sounds like Yrigoyen knew Macri and Vidal and Bullrich were in Argentina's future...

Sorry, I don't get the Argentina and Germany comparison. Germany startet WW2 and committed the most atrocious genocide. Considering that it got off lightly. Why should it bear a grudge against the US?
I, too, don't get the comparison. An honest, in-depth examination and discussion of the Malvinas (including the war) should avoid "whataboutisms" and false equivalencies. We should leave these fallacious techniques to Putin.

Back