Argentina's history of slavery: should there be reparations?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mc Kenna,
I applaud your rising consciousness, you have made the first step forward by acknowledging systematic expat privilege (expatism) and asking the right questions, namely how an expat can become an ally to the systematically historically oppressed and marginalised victims of expat exploitation and how to help to start the redress process for the accumulated injustices. Only once the “Expat” transitions to becoming a RGA (Respectful Guest and Ally) can the healing process begin.

A responsible and respectful ally to marginalised victims can contribute to redress and reparations not only financially but also with direct personal introspection and outward actions and deeds.

Financially, a RGA should commit to paying every native Argentina a living, non-exploitive, wage in any economic transaction with them. When ever possible, engage with and give preference to a member of the traditionally marginalised groups. A good rule of thumb would be to pay an equivalent living wage rate to that of a comparable worker in your home country, for example $15 per hour for US RGAs or £9 per hour for UK RGAs. Also, commit to paying local producers and service providers a fare trade price for their products or services, again, using your home country prices as a guide. Past exploitation and injustice could begin to be addressed by each RGAs engaging with locally reparations committees organised by empowered representatives of African and Indigenous descent and other historically marginalized Plurigendered communities in your Barrio, Comuna, Town or Region. These local reparations committees could help to set Solidarity Payment guidelines based on their specific needs and redress priorities. As a point of reference, a 30% Solidarity Levy for RGAs, similar to the current 30% Solidarity Tax on currency speculators and hoarders would seem an appropriate place to start.

Whilst economic empowerment of marginalised communities is a good place to start, systematic expatism has to be identified and confronted in your everyday life. Every RGA must examine their thinking, their actions and their speech for hidden or unacknowledged expatism. Cultural appropriation is rife in Argentina, an “expat” dancing tango can be as offensive to a native Argentine as “blackface” is in your home communities. Addressing a native Argentine in English and expecting them to understand and respond to you in English is both non-respectful and a blatant manifestation of language supremacism. Disrespecting, complaining or “joking” about local laws, customs, traditions, and institutions or insolently and negatively comparing them to those of your home country demonstrates a colonialist attitude and an ingrained cultural bias. Just because you may have a native Argentine “friend”, historically marginalized or not, does not mean you can ever fully understand the historic traumas and injustices they have suffered and the indignities they internalise daily. Patronisation or tokenism is not acceptable, learning, humility and empathy should be your goals.

I fully understand and willing to pay as soon as i get my first check from the Italian gov responsible today of the roman empire who , as part of the entertaintment used to throw Christians to the lions ...... i've got about 2 thousand years worth of back pay so i should be ok i think

One grandparent out of my four was not born in Europe. She was truly a "supermutt", and gave me (based on an average of 8 DNA tests I took) about 2% of African blood. There is denial of the Afro-argentine heritage, much like the US Southern "whites" deny such small, yet statistically significant percentages of African blood running through (many of) them. But reparations is probably a laughable concept right now in Argentina.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back