Argentine Art Appreciation

steveinbsas

Registered
Just adding a new thread to see if there are other expats who are interested in Argentine art and would like to join an informal group that will meet for lunch occasionally and attend museum and gallery events.

Most visitors know about the MALBA (Museo de Arte Latinoamericano de Buenos Aires) and MNBA (Museo Nacional de Bellas Artes), but not many take the time to view the collection of Argentine art on the first floor (second level) of MNBA. I think it's wonderful and am currently studying the history of several of the artists. I would be very happy to share what I have learned with those who are interested.

There are also several smaller museums that many tourists never see, such as the Museo Fernando Blanco and Casa Xul Solar, which just reopened after being remodeled. I'll post about others soon, especially as I gather information about current or upcoming exhibitions.

Hopefully, this will get the ball rolling. Those who are interested in meeting as a group, please send me a note. I will make another post regarding time and place. If anyone has something to say or questions about Argentine art, please add to this thread, especially if you know of a museum exhibit or a gallery that other expats might enjoy.

Basic information for MNBA and MALBA:

MNBA (Museo Nacional de Bellas Artes)
Av. Del Libertador 1473 | Capital Federal | Buenos Aires | Argentina
Tel. 5288-9918 / 5288-9914 | Fax 5288-9981

www.mnba.org

Horarios del Mus
Martes a viernes

de 12.30 a 20.30 hs.

Sábados, Domingos y feriados

de 9.30 a 20.30 hs.

Entrada Gratuita

MALBA (Museo de Arte Latinoamericano de Buenos Aires)

http://www.malba.org.ar

Malba – Fundación Costantini
Avda. Figueroa Alcorta 3415
C1425CLA Buenos Aires, Argentina

Horarios y tarifas
De jueves a lunes y feriados de 12:00 a 20:00. Miércoles hasta las 21:00. Martes cerrado. Ingreso hasta 30' antes del cierre.

Valor de la entrada Adultos $ 15
Docentes y jubilados (o mayores de 65 años con acreditación) $ 8
Estudiantes (con acreditación) $ 5
Menores de 5 años sin cargo

Miércoles
General $ 5

The Museo Arte Moderno is presently closed for remodeling.

I have to say that Steve has an incredible knowledge of Argentinian art very rare to find either with locals in Buenos Aires.

I would highly recommend taking a look at www.argentineart.blogspot.com as some of the works there are fantastic.

Museo Benito Quinquela Martin (BQM) in La Boca is underrated, BQM is the best representative of the Escuela de la Boca. The new Fortabat Museum is great also but I think Buenos Aires is NOT a city for breathtaking museums, though Argentinean artists are very talented. At the Sao Paulo Biennal, Brazil and Mexico overshadows by far Argentina, however it deals certainly more about sales. Believe it or not, Rosario has more interesting museums!
(*I am a profesional trained guide )
Ch.

The group sounds great. Unfortunately Nancy and I won't be in BA on a regular basis for some time. I hope the Art group is a huge success and will be active when we get there. The second level of MNBA is fabulous, one of my favorite collections and I really liked the Museo Benito Quinquela Martin. Don't miss the rooftop lookout.

I've been to the MALBA Cafe and enjiyed it. What is alfajores?

Alfajores are sweetcakes.

Argentine art certainly is worth more than the occasional casual glance given by art critics and historians. There even is the rare gem amidst (from what I've seen) a largely imitative but broad profusion of creation. SiBA's collection is a fine culling of this profusion, and I'd urge anyone interested in the subject to look at what he's posted on other websites.

Yes, I would very much be interested in learning about Argentine art and even buy some.

would love to particpate. i had a art gallery in chelsea, nyc, and would like to learn about argentine painters. how can we organize to meet and share our interest in art

Back