Argentine bank account - without DNI

steveinbsas said:
I belive you need to have a visa temporaria based on a work contract to obtain a CUIL from ANSES. At least one member posted that he received a CUIT from AFIP without a resident visa, but I don't remember anyone having much success at ANSES getting a CUIL without one. Banco Frances might open an account for you with a CUIT, but other members have posted that they opened accounts at Itau with a CDI and their passport. Legally, that should be all you need, but it still can vary from bank to bank.

Even with only a visa transitoria (which has not expired), you should have no problem getting the CDI with only your passport and the certicficado de domicilo.

Where exactly can I find this law (online and in Spanish)? I'm planning to take legal action against Banco Santander Río for suddenly freezing my account and debit card (without any notice!) because they realized I do not have a DNI on record. Funny - it wasn't an issue when I opened my account up almost two years ago...

mcaffa said:
Where exactly can I find this law (online and in Spanish)? I'm planning to take legal action against Banco Santander Río for suddenly freezing my account and debit card (without any notice!) because they realized I do not have a DNI on record. Funny - it wasn't an issue when I opened my account up almost two years ago...

Here is the current BCRA regulation:

http://www.bcra.gov.ar/pdfs/texord/t-depaho.pdf

mini said:
I agree with Trabano though... Go back tomorrow, ask someone else & your answers will be different! ;)

But you have it done now so: Congrats! :D

Yes, I tried through HSBC (the one across from Abasto), and was rejected. But not immediately. I'm the one with a CUIT but a tourist visa (don't know how I pulled that off!), and they told me all I needed was the CUIT. I dunno if they assumed that meant I had residency, which would be a reasonable assumption, or what, but they certainly didn't tell me I needed residency of any kind.

Anyway, I turned in copies of my rental contract and facturas (in my landlady's name), copies of a credit card, my CUIT number, copies of my passport, and filled out some forms. They told me to come back in a week, at which point they told me to come back in another week. Finally, they said I couldn't get the account because I didn't have residency. Hmmm...

I haven't tried other banks, though I'd like to. Someone said they were successful at Santander, then another said they were bad news bears. Where else have people had success: Itau, Galicia, BNP maybe? Guess I should just plan a day of bank hopping and see what I get...

Thanks!

cassiem13 said:
Guess I should just plan a day of bank hopping and see what I get...

Given that more than a few tourists with bank accounts in ARG have had their bank accounts frozen when the bank figured out that the tourist was not in fact a resident, i can't understand why any tourist would try to get a bank account. Perhaps try to get an account with a friend who has residency.

cassiem13 said:
Yes, I tried through HSBC (the one across from Abasto), and was rejected. But not immediately. I'm the one with a CUIT but a tourist visa (don't know how I pulled that off!), and they told me all I needed was the CUIT. I dunno if they assumed that meant I had residency, which would be a reasonable assumption, or what, but they certainly didn't tell me I needed residency of any kind.

Anyway, I turned in copies of my rental contract and facturas (in my landlady's name), copies of a credit card, my CUIT number, copies of my passport, and filled out some forms. They told me to come back in a week, at which point they told me to come back in another week. Finally, they said I couldn't get the account because I didn't have residency. Hmmm...

I haven't tried other banks, though I'd like to. Someone said they were successful at Santander, then another said they were bad news bears. Where else have people had success: Itau, Galicia, BNP maybe? Guess I should just plan a day of bank hopping and see what I get...

Thanks!

boo! :(

Well, come on over to house. Here there is a Galica, an Itau, a Patagonia and something Frances (or is it BNP?) without even going 2 blocks. LOL.

BTW, BNP Paribas left the country a few months ago and sold their clients to Santander if I recall

i opened account at banco frances with my us passport.Just passport and cuit # which i got at afip and thats it

Trabano said:
Ok, so I finally finished the process and the only thing I have to do now is go to the bank and open an account. Here's what I did:

First started at Anses, they gave me the necessary paperwork and told me to head to AFIP.
AFIP gave me another paper and told me to go to my local police station.
I went to the police station and requested the certificado de domocilio, payed AR$10, and waited the next day of the police officer to arrive and then he gave me more paperwork. (For me, they did not ask for a factura. I agree with steveinbsas though, bring one just in case!)
Then I returned to AFIP, waited less than half an hour, signed the two forms given to me by ANSES, waited about 10 more minutes for my paperwork to be processed, and then was given a copy of the AFIP paperwork with my CDI handwritten at the top so I could open a bank account.
Thanks for info.. what exactly did you say at ANSES... I personally am married almost 3 weeks to an Argentine have my CDI but no residency as of yet .. I am going through the process now..what would I need to do here to get an account...

You should be able to open a bank account with your passport + CUIT... Depends on the bank. I would try going to banks in downtown area.

Good to know!

steveinbsas said:
I was told I needed a CDI from AFIP is needed by a foreigner to open a bank account and it still can be difficult.

Back